1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finding LGBT events in my area?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hachi, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Hachi

Heya!

As I have recently become more comfortable with my sexuality I have been wanting to find a community to be myself around, or at least find some like-minded friends. All of my current friends are straight. Very, very straight.

But I am having a hard time locating any events or get togethers or whatever. All I can really find is the big pride parade (but I already missed it for this year).

Is there some online resource for finding some events? Or is there somewhere I should start looking? I know they are out there, and I know there is a big LGBT community here in the city, but I just can't seem to find it.

Any help would be great!

2. DeJe

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Check out Meetup - there are groups for different interests/hobbies, meeting new friends, the LGBT community, etc. You shouldn't have a problem finding interest-specific meetup groups in a larger city.

3. KJA

KJA

I tried that myself earlier today. I could only find some massive gay men meetup which is intimidating the hell out of me, or a lesbian book club. Interesting question, when I get to the point at which I could more easily pass, and the fact I am bisexual, would I ever be welcomed into a lesbian group, or would I forever be excluded from that sisterhood (even post surgery).

Sorry, feeling down (and negative) this afternoon... Probably due to the rain and I couldn't get my walk in.

4. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've found a couple pride festivals from google'ing (those ofcourse are just once-year things though.. I love going to those, but its not enough .lol. ),

As far as searching, thats really all I was able to find through google...
    I too wish there was more semi-local stuff where I live (I know there wouldn't be anything truly local, but even if it was in the city ~45 minutes away, that would be good)
    I've come to believe GLBT events must not exist (other than PrideFest) :frowning2:

I did join a couple Meetup.com groups last year (haven't been able to go to any of their gatherings yet though)

5. thepandaboss

Google is definitely a good place to begin. Most major cities have LGBT organizations, who will probably amass a directory of LGBT events in the area so it's worth checking in with any local LGBT organizations in your area too.

But never discount word of mouth awareness. If you personally know anyone LGBT in your area, ask them what they know. Sometimes they might know a smaller group or event that will work for you. I actually have a friend who runs a trans friendly AA group up in Portland and that's the kind of thing you don't necessarily stumble across until you ask.

Also, even Pride can help. Many groups and local organizations will have booths out in the hopes of raising awareness of the events they offer. If you see something you're interested in, sign up or ask for more information. Even non-Pride community events may have booths for LGBT geared groups. A local LGBT choir in my hometown used to set up booths at local events.

6. AKTodd

I just did a quick google on 'lgbt organizations in pittsburgh' and the first thing that came up was your local community center.

Also in the search results were:

LGBT Social Group Meetups in Pittsburgh (6 groups - you may have to join Meetup to see them)

A listing of organizations from the Carnegie Library

A listing of LGBT sports teams and groups in the area.

Plus many more.

Note that several of these organizations probably have Resources pages that will in turn list yet more groups.

Hope this helps,

Todd

7. Hachi

Oh wow! Thank you so much everyone! Special thanks to you, @AKTodd, I had not seen these before even though I thought I looked!

But yeah, thank you. There is an open mic/comedy show it looks like later this month that I might try going to...never been to an event like this before, though, so it'll be interesting..