1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on quitting smoking

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by warthog, Jul 8, 2015.

1. warthog

Hi guys.

My current hobby is chain smoking, and that is unhealthy - no shit. Anyway, I am taking a shot on quitting, and would really like some pointers. is there any way I could pull it off?

I did before, it was like magic - it's a kinda maagiic - because all of a sudden, smoke tasted bad, and I actually couldn't stand it. I told people that smoking quit me, not the opposite. I quit for two years, but then some shit happened and I found myself back to smoking with a vengeance. so, going to try cold turkey, and expect some lapses, and would really appreciate some support.

Thanks

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Only experience is a smoking mama here.

So, try to not stress yourself or put yourself in stressful situations. Take time for yourself to sit down with a nice cup of tea or meditate or whatever makes you feel calm.

And distractions, preferably one that involves using your hands, like holding a cigarette (lol... I know one thing that would practically work, but something you can spend more time on). My mom knitted.

3. warthog

IF only that was an option, I wouldn't need to smoke lol ... or did I misunderstand (!)

4. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Try to cut back slowly. Chewing Nicorette gum should help and also the patch.

5. KJA

KJA

I've used the patch and found it very helpful. What what brand you get. The name brand one is very expensive, but if you have a flexible spending card and you can get a doctor to write a Rx for it, you can pay for it that way.

6. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quitting cold turkey is the best way to go. I quit smoking on 13 August 2014. I smoked my last cigarette on the 12th. I had a couple of packs of the carton left, but I just committed myself to quitting and, well, I haven't smoked again since.

Do not find an alternative, like chewing gum or eating chocolates. That can also turn into a bad habit if you're not careful. Anything can be addictive.

Don't take an "innocent" drag from someone who is busy smoking. You might relapse.

Throw away all lighters/matches if possible (If you won't be needing one to start a fire, for example). The less temptation there is, the better.

Try to avoid being around smokers for at least the first two weeks to a month after quitting