1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grad School

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Florestan, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's time to start looking into grad school. This may be my best shot at finding somewhere I can feel free to be myself without it ruining my life. If I get in, I intend to come out while I'm there. Any advice on where to start looking or what places might be more trans-friendly than others? My plan is to study music composition and then, hopefully, find work and settle down.

I'm also bit torn about geography. All my friends and potential support are in the South, but finding a job would likely be more difficult because of the higher level of hostility.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Schools can vary greatly, even within a particular region, in terms of their supportiveness. Assuming you have some sort of faculty or advisors to talk to now, contact them and ask about some good programs in music composition (or whatever else you might like).

You can also look up any school's website and see what they have in terms of LGBT resources (any sort of LGBT clubs/organizations, particularly for grad students; any sort of safe space/safe zone programs; as well as information and resources at a particular school's health/wellness centers for student populations in general).

As far as jobs in the area - if you plan to stick around after you graduate, that might make the city/region/state etc. more important. But that may be more of a personal choice. :slight_smile: