1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plans for after highschool..??

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by NewGirl24, Jul 13, 2015.

1. NewGirl24

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know this isn't lgbt related, but some people on here are the best with advice! So I graduate high school next year and I know some people who are already applying and getting accepted to universities all over the country. I, on the other hand, am very nervous about leaving home to go to college. It has always been my dream to go to med school, but part of me just wants to live at home and go to the local community college for free, then transfer to a nursing school in the area. Although I believe that nursing would be a great career for me, I don't know if it would be the best. It is only one parent and I at home and leaving them would make me feel awful after the last few years and a lot of difficulties we have faced like my parents divorce and other issues within my family.. What I would like to know is if I should settle with nursing, a good career that I'm interested in, or move away for college for schools that I'm actually interested in and possibly pursuing a medical career that I have a passion for.. Any thoughts?

2. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

I just graduated high school this past June. I'm going to my local community college (but it's not free) to get a few certificates and an A.S degree, possibly a B.S. if I can afford more schooling in the future. Lol. What I can tell you is that to keep your options open. Apply to the colleges you might want to go to that suits your future career. Register to your community college as a back up plan just in case you don't get to go to your school of choice. Do what you think is best for you and I'm sure your parents would want the best for you too.

3. sartorious

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Its always a good idea to continue your education by going to college and gradschool someday. I believe that having a degree will increase your sell point to future employer.I dont know how the system works there, but i'm going to suggest you is to follow your dream no matter where it takes you.

I'm in med school in my country, but it wasn't my choice, it was my parents. If it wasn't something that you're interested/passion in although you graduate but the result wont be that satisfying.:icon_sad:

4. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was terrified to leave home and go away to college, leaving behind my single mother, but I did and I've never made a better decision.

Some things to consider:
    - Are you prepared for med school? Mentally and financially?
    - Do the med schools and nursing schools that you're interested in have a solid reputation?
    - What about the reputation of your community college?
    - Will the schools you're interested in acknowledge transfer credits, especially for classes from your community college?
    - Would you be happy with a career in nursing or do you really want to be a doctor?

I don't think you have to decide that last one right now. Would it be possible for you to take classes at your community college and then transfer to a university with med program?

I also agree with Nocturnal, keep your options open. Apply to anywhere that you might want to go and see where the cards fall.