1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with Mottephobia (fear of moths)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CyanChachki, Jul 15, 2015.

1. CyanChachki

I'm having a huge issue with people dismissing my mottephobia. These people know but clearly do not care that I have it and I simply cannot win, no matter what I do. I've asked them to kill moths for me. What do I get? A never ending rant that is full of phobia shaming. So then I try doing it myself which puts me through SO much stress to the point where I'm sweating like it's a melting hot day and they still have the audacity to say "You're being a little over dramatic about this.."... :bang: Like what do you want me to do? I'm actually trying to kill it by myself regardless of me being terrified of these things.

Like, I get that it's a moth. I get that there's nothing harmful about it. Do you not think that I haven't tried a million billion times to overcome this? I have tried so many times and it just isn't happening so I'm dealing with it in the best way that I can. I am trying my best and I simply can't stand it anymore. I am at the breaking point with this. I am so fed up with people dismissing it like it's pathetic or ridiculous when I LITERALLY cannot help it. Part of me wants to print out 100 pages on the definition of "Phobia" just so they can get it through their heads. I honestly feel like my life would be so much better if I weren't afraid of them, but guess what? I will be limited to what I can and cannot do UNTIL I get over the fear... but until then, just help me out, no?:***::tantrum:

2. Spider

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What have you done to confront your fears? What is it about moths that makes you uncomfortable? Do larger moths make you more uncomfortable than the little ones? Do similar insects such as butterflies make you uncomfortable?

Its good that you realize that they aren't harmful and are willing to do something about your fear.

I would suggest researching exposure therapy. Start small maybe learn more about moths and they will seem less frightening to you.

3. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to be terrified of spiders, but these days they don't phase me at all - even the large ones. I got over my fear of spiders by directly confronting them. I'd get rid of them myself instead of getting other people to do it, and I let one walk on my hand, which was really nerve-wracking at first but the more I did it the less scary it was.

I felt the same about crane flies actually, but they don't bother me anymore either.

Now, my fear of elevators.. I have no desire to confront that, lol.

#3 imnotreallysure, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  4. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Have you ever considered hypnotherapy?

5. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

I'm scared of moths too but not to the phobia extent. However, I have a different phobia so I can relate to how this feels and how shitty it is when people dismiss it. People really don't get it.

6. Oh Lilac

A phobia is an irrational fear, which I know that you know, but the truth is, you probably are being overly dramatic about it. It is disruptive. I am, too, with my phobia. It sounds like it is to the point where it is controlling you and any situation you are in if there is a moth. It's unreasonable to expect people to halt everything and bend over backwards to kill the moth. I also have a phobia of moths, so i get it...but I have come to accept that this is MY problem. I cannot be angry at others for not making it their problem, too. And some people don't want to kill them.

Perhaps you can ask your friends to just let you freak out without their commentary, because you're already aware of what your reaction is. And tell them calmly about how a phobia works in one's mind.

#6 Oh Lilac, Jul 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
  7. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Have you tried talking to a psychologist or counselor who specializes in phobias? I saw this cool animal planet series where they help people deal with animal phobias.