1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anxiety Issues

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZeroDarkness, Jul 18, 2015.

1. ZeroDarkness

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had anxiety for as long as I can remember, and it has only gotten worse. For a while, it got to the point that I was too afraid to go to classes (I'm in college), and I even failed a semester because I quit going to them.

I don't like leaving the house unless I'm going somewhere like the movies or out to eat either. I recently had to get a part time job (money reasons), and I started two weeks ago. It's a retail job, and I absolutely hate it. I get massive anxiety attacks every single day that I have to work, and I just can't wait to leave when I get there.

The job itself isn't bad, it's just me. I don't think changing jobs would do me any good, it's just the anxiety of having to go. It's 4am here, and I need to be at work in 5 hours. I can't sleep, and I feel sick just thinking about it.

Does anyone have any advice? It's only getting worse, and I'm considering not showing up at this point (even though it means losing my job). I feel like a rat trapped in a cage right now, with nowhere to go. I can't just not ever have a job, and I know that. But I don't know how to deal with this.

I feel sick to my stomach right now thinking about walking into work in a few hours. Even though I'm part time, they have me scheduled for over 30 hours every week, and I stress out almost 24/7 about the next time I have to go to work.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Your situation is quite urgent, so I would suggest seeing a general practitioner/physician right away if you haven't already.
    I have heard that expenses for such services in the US can be expensive, but even so I suggest you do yourself that favor.
    If that is hard on your finances, perhaps contacting the social services could help.
    I think that should be a priority now. Therapy and/or medication can help you a lot.

Relaxation techniques can help you after work. Different things work for different people. Some do meditation. Some do different deep breathing techniques. Some lie down with relaxing music, close their eyes and breathe. Others watch imagery with sounds.

Seeking professional help and finding ways to calm your mind are two things I recommed you to do.

Hope that helps. Please continue writing if you have more concerns.

3. Roostaruu

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This sounds all too similar to me. I've suffered from anxiety since 15 years old and I'm 21 now. I have found a few ways to cope, such as deeP breaths when you feel that panic coming on. I urge you to try your best to not run from the situation.

I've got to a point now where I don't suffer as much from anxiety but the way I got past it was to do the things which made me anxious. If you keep going with this job you may start to feel less anxious as you start to realise it isn't as scary as you thought.

I like to think I've found ways to maintain and cope with my anxiety so don't fret to contact me if you feel like you need to talk about it. Anxiety can be real hard. :slight_smile:

4. Posthuman666

I was in a similar situation last year. I missed probably 50 days of school in the entire year, I had panic attacks whenever I would even think about going around so many people. It was a really bad. But now, things are better.

I agree with Becki, you should see someone. Help is helpful