1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does love feel like?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DAXIII, Jul 18, 2015.

1. DAXIII

I don't think I have ever really been in love. I have never exhibited any of the symptoms people claim that love creates. In fact I was more happy about having acquired a relationship rather than being with the person in question. I just find the whole thing strange, could someone explain what it is like. Please spare me the useless "when it happens you'll know answer", that is not a reply.

2. Spacewalker

Well apart from the true fact 'when it happens you know' I would describe love as a deep connection between two people. Emotional, mental and physical. Your somehow bonded with this person. And you have a romantic and sexual interest in them. But that is very theoretical so u can only understand or know when it happens.

3. DAXIII

Sigh, I just hate that answer. "You'll know when it happens." It's so vague. I think love is just a chemical that creates a series of physiological responses in the body that people take to mean more than they are.

4. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure that's part of it, but is there anything wrong with that?

5. Aloki

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, not feeling romantic love myself, I've always wondered what it's like.
    I see the effects on people, but everytime I ask people their feelings, they are always soo vague lol
    So, I've kind of stopped searching ^^
    but I'm curious of the answers that people will post on this thread \o/
    I hope you will find your answer ^^

6. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I've asked this many times, the best answers coming from couples who have been together or married for a long time. This is what they said:
    1) It's chemical, but the whole point is that it doesn't feel like that - all emotions are chemical but that doesn't mean the emotions you feel aren't real. If you get punched, chances are you want to punch them right back - strong emotion caused by chemical release.
    2) love is a state of contentment - you want to be with them and have those moments where you meet each other's gaze, you feel like you can be open with them
    3) they might have a huge fault (an unwillingness to accept change, they like to moan about other people, for example)
    4) It's different for everyone - love between a couple might mean that one partner dies quickly after their partner dies, or could mean that they live in but sorely miss them.

I could comment on infatuation but won't here.

7. DAXIII

Well people like to believe it's some mystical force that goes to infinity and is the one thing that can save us.

8. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Yes, that is exactly what I believe and I will always do so :slight_smile:

9. DAXIII

Forgive me if I say that is hopelessly naive.

10. Posthuman666

"Love is like a bullet in the head, what I wrote is never what you read"

11. Seagypsy

Falling in love often takes us by surprise, we meet someone who we get on with and find easy to talk to, they might not be the hottest or cutest person we've ever seen, but we feel drawn to their personality. Then, after knowing them for a while, chatting and laughing and sharing conversations with them, suddenly we start to feel more for them, deeper feelings, more sexual emotions. That's falling in love! :icon_bigg

12. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I forgive you. I do not mind your opinion. Hopelessness is an expert field of mine, but as far as love goes it does not faze me.

13. Bossanova

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't think it is love that people believe that would go "to infinity and is the one thing that can save us." I believe that would be hope; and, hope itself is spawned by love. So as long as there is love, there is hope, which is a "mystical force that goes to infinity and is the one thing that can save us."

But enough about that and on to the topic at hand. Love is a combination of many factors, some apparent, some not so apparent. There are generally 3 stages when defining the process of love: lust, attraction, and attachment. Within these 3 stages, there are a variety of chemicals and hormones that are released, causing you to feel lust, physical and romantic attraction, and attachment to the other person.

So yes, while it is completely true that the love is perhaps started by chemicals and hormones, keep in mind that is what all human feelings and emotions stem from. Also bear in mind that we do not yet know everything about these processes, how they came to be, and even what some of them are. An example of the "grey area" (what we don't know), would be that lover's heartbeats align when they stare into each other's eyes, something that cannot yet be fully explained.

But what it really boils down to, is what you believe it to be. Ask yourself these questions:
    - What do I want in life?
    - How do I want to achieve that?
    - How willing am I to act for what I wish to achieve?
    Answering these questions will help you to understand that love is a fluid term, it is by no means something that is set in stone and that is the only way love can be. Love varies from person to person, and so no matter what advice you'll be given on this thread, it is entirely true that you won't be able to understand what love is until you've found it. People don't just explain it by saying "you have to find out for yourself," rather, it is because they can't explain it themselves, as love varies from one individual to the next.

Sorry for the semi-wall of text, but I really do hope you find some of this useful! :slight_smile:

If you are more interested in the chemical processes and hormones behind the 3 stages of love, check out thoughty2's YT video called "What is love?". :slight_smile:

14. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I think this is partially due to how the human mind works. Chemical and visual stimuli push people to initiate interaction. Through interaction, once a mental bond is deemed safe and confirmed, the mind will continue to add more and more justification on top of why to stay together. I assume some of this is subconscious, which is why people think it is magical or meant to be, and to be honest, it kind of is meant to be if those physical stimuli align properly.

15. DAXIII

It just sounds so complicated. It seems like a waste of time and energy.

16. Fallingdown7

Fallingdown7 Guest

Honestly, what you're thinking of describes infatuation, but not always love. Infatuation feels like a rush of emotions, stress, dizzyness, lack of appetite, constant nervousness and giddyness around the person, etc.

True love for a partner feels exactly the same as the love for your parents or your friends, just with an added sexual component.

17. DAXIII

Then why are people so obsessed with it? I don't understand.

18. souverian

I just accept that it exists. It's like watching people try to describe dissociation. Or depression. Or sexual attraction. Or satisfaction.

I've never felt any sort of romantic love before either.

19. Bossanova

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why are people so obsessed with it? That would be stage 3, attachment.

If you wish to know more about "what is love" beyond opinions, I encourage you to read up on the science behind love. Once you get an understanding on how all human emotions and feelings work, you will also learn what the hormonal causes of love are.

20. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is pretty much exactly what I think.

I forgive you.:icon_wink Frankly I find being called naïve by a 24 year rather charming.:lol: