1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it normal to not care about family who don't keep in touch?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CodeForLife, Jul 18, 2015.

1. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I used to meet with some of my family who live a few days drive away pretty regularly, i.e. once or twice a year, every year when I was growing up. The past 8 or 9 years though, we really haven't seen each other or kept in touch, but of course they're getting older and some have gotten married and others have had kids.

If I don't really agree with their lifestyles, i.e. living off of the government/grandparents' money and not working for no reason, does it make me a bad person to not care much about what's new with them anymore? Does anyone else feel similarly in their situation?

I'm not trying to be too callous, but I kind of dread seeing relatives when we haven't kept in touch and they haven't made the best decisions in life. Yeah I get that everyone makes mistakes, but do I have to respect them when they don't respect tax payers? Yeah, we're physically related, but that's about all we have in common at this point. Did we ever have much more than a superficial connection, probably not.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

2. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think this is offensive. you'd be surprise how many people feel the same way about their families, even me. I'm almost in the exact situation that you are but all I can say is you can take it for what it is. you don't really have to cling on to them because as you progress with life, people do grow apart. same rule applies to families. the more you grow up, the more you understand the situation that surrounds the people related to you. It's your choice by the end of the day. Why waste the given effort to a person if they're not willing to do the same? Depends on what your perspective is. From my experience, I don't deal with families that don't bother keeping in touch with me. and whatever new comes up, whether it's rumors or babies or even marriage, i just didn't give a damn. It's a pretty dead relationship to me. As cold as that sounds, but by the end of the day, they just didn't care. The past is the past so there's nothing I can do to change it. I also dread the fact of seeing them. Our blood is the only thing that connects us, but It doesn't mean our relations are stronger or better because of it.

3. wisefolly

wisefolly Guest

I come from a large family, scattered everywhere, and it was only a few years ago that I stopped feeling like I had to go visit them at holidays because after all these years and all those gatherings, we had nothing to say to each other. I can chitchat with just about anyone but it's like talking to walls most of the time I visited (nevermind keeping secret the gay stuff) so I just... stopped visiting. I care for them in the abstract way you care for family you don't see often, and I can sympathize if something bad happens but they don't really affect me on a daily basis. I don't feel bad, really, because I tried for most of my life. How many holidays and perfectly good Saturdays and Sundays do I have to sacrifice to stare at people I don't have much in common with besides genetic material?

4. Ardi

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, I think that's very normal. The relationship must not be very strong if there is no communication between you and the family member(s).

I actually wondered about this earlier because my father got into a huge fight with my grandparents on my mother's side, and because of this they don't really talk to us anymore. After that happened, the connection between us slowly became severed, until it completely cut off a few years ago. Now, honestly, I completely forget about them from time to time. I think it's important to note that my grandparents, after fighting with my father, eventually apologized to him and everything, but even after then we don't keep in touch at all.

Oh well, honestly it doesn't bother me that they don't want to talk to us because of that argument that they eventually apologized for; if they don't want to keep in touch with us, then why should we want to do the same for them?

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's normal. I have a very large family and I see most of them so rarely that I don't even know their names or how I'm related to them. Sometimes I see them at holiday parties with my more immediate family but I don't really talk to them.

6. Matz

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Connection isn't something that just happens. It's nurtured by time and understanding. If you rarely see each other and agree on very little, I don't think that makes you a bad person. There's just not a lot between you in the present.

7. Gandee

Gandee Guest

I love my family and I'd love to know what's new with them. But there are quite a lot of relatives I'd make an enemy of!

8. MetalRice

The majority of my family doesn't talk to me and my parents and hates us; so no; it's definitely normal.

9. aussielefty

my father recently passed away ( about a year or so ago now)

I see my sister often but my brother , seems to have whipped his hands from me.
    he thinks I have pushed him away from contact, but only time I hear from him
    is via email ..

we are a fair distance and that does cause trouble some times ..