1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by aussielefty, Jul 19, 2015.

1. aussielefty

The other day, Tuesday I went and saw a therapist for the first time in my life
    I spent over 2 1/2 hours with her..

Told her about my father passing 12 months ago, not having any parents around,
    family living some where else, and finding out I'm gay and wanting to be loved by some one.. I think I laid it all to her..

then spent the next 3 in bed , my mind totally drained, which I suppose is normal for when you tell all to some one ??

has any one else done this ,felt like this after therapy ??

---------- Post added 20th Jul 2015 at 04:39 PM ----------

make that 3 days in bed, ( couldn't edit for some reason)

2. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being so open like that can be emotionally draining and it sounds like you were especially so. I saw a counselor for six months and after our sessions I would often feel emotionally exhausted. Other times I would feel pumped up and energetic.

3. your experiences all have emotions and feelings associated with them.
    when you conjure them up and speak of them, all the emotions you associate with them that you have been stuffing down come up.
    for therapy to work, the person needs to know what you are dealing with so they can help you.
    after that sessions and with all the emotions you would likely to be drained.
    most sessions last for 45mins -1 hour.

now your counselor has the information to understand where you are coming from and to to help you.

basically you have been putting bandaids on wounds that are infected. during these initial sessions, they have to rip the bandaid off, and dig up all the infection out of the wound. that is painful. it hurts. it leaves you with a hole in your body.

but then with antibotics and time, the wound starts to heal slowly from the inside out. the antibotics is the counseling and therapy and perhaps meds you may needs.
    slowly the hole lessens and lessens and the flesh comes back.

sure you may always still see the scar as a reminder of where you came from, but the infection and pus will be gone.

that is the goal if good counseling/therapy. good luck.

4. aussielefty

thanks guys,
    I just feel like my whole life has done a back flip, and I cant get up again..