1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So my church won't let me join back...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gaynerd64, Jul 20, 2015.

1. gaynerd64

I consider myself an atheist / agnostic but I'm reasonably open minded and would gladly help out at my (former) church if they would just accept me. Turns out they aren't very accepting. My grandparents (who attend the church) were talking about the church's rules last night. They said that the church would not allow any LGBT people to join the church unless they repented and stopped being LGBT. I don't why, but it really hurts me. They claim to be loving and accepting, but I don't see it. I can understand not performing marriages but I can't understand not allowing gay people like myself to join as a member of the church. Has this happened to anybody else?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you sure it is actually the church's policy? Or could it be that it is your grandparents are trying to push their own agenda?

You say you live in the absolute worst state, so if that's in one of the ignorant, Bible-belt states, then yes, some churches preach hatred, bigotry and ignorance there... and that means that they don't want anyone who is gay... even though they'd probably welcome someone with tattoos, someone who cheats on his wife or husband, or someone who's been divorced with open arms. It's hypocrisy at its finest, but these ignorant, hateful people don't care.

What I could suggest is looking for another church that's more welcoming. Even in the most bigoted state, there are options. Unitarian churches are pretty accepting. Most Episcopal churches are pretty live-and-let-live. You could check with your local LGBT center and see what you could find. But your grandparents church, if in fact it is the church, and not your grandparents, dictating the policy, probably isn't going to make a change for you.

3. thats very sad but i would focus on being part of a church that would accept me. hopegully there are some around your area.