1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to find a therapist that specializes in gender stuffs

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by queermeerkat, Jul 25, 2015.

1. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I want to get counseling, for lots of reasons, one of which being my gender queries, but I don't know how exactly to find a therapist/counselor/whatever that is lgbtqia friendly and knows what the hell they're talking about and 90% of 'professionals' I've ever encountered had the brains of a walrus and couldn't adequately do their job to save their life. In the freaking bible belt what even are the chances I could find anyone that could ACTUALLY help me?

2. Really

Is there an lgbt resource centre in your city? Or some big city nearby? They might have info on their website or have contact info for you to be in touch and ask them if they have a list.

Even if they only list ones too far away from you, you could always contact them and see if they could recommend anyone in your area. And a recommendation is usually a good sign.

3. Mitchell

Does your insurance company give you an online directory?

The one that my insurance company utilizes allows you to specify what you're looking for, and LGBT stuffs is one of the options.