1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Local Community Involvment?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Leifa, Jul 26, 2015.

1. Leifa

So this isn't really a "support" topic but more of happy advice seeking!

So I'd like to get more involved in my local LGBT community in my city..I've done some googling but all that shows up is gaybars, gay/lesbian nightclubs, the pride parade next year(which I'm gonna go to for first time ^.^) and a transgender support group but I'm more looking to volunteer, help out, and make some friends if possible. I'm at a loss as to what to look for next and am starting to think what I'm looking for may not exist here?

So what I'm asking is if anybody has any advice on how to find places/things to get involved with.

2. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Going to as many events (such as pride parades) as you can is a good start - try looking for community centers as well. Since you mention Buffalo, it looks like there is a Pride Center right there in the city, as well as an organization for lgbt youth services.

Give them a call, or even just stop in sometime, and ask them if they need any volunteers or will in the near future. I'd imagine they'll be happy for the extra help! :slight_smile: Or even if not, they may have weekly or monthly groups or meetings you could go to.

Good luck!

3. Leifa

Oh wow thank you... I feel a little dumb because that said western NY. I didn't know it was located here. Thanks so much!

4. Leifa

I sent an email :slight_smile: