1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do ask someone out that you like without feeling awkward?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CodeForLife, Jul 26, 2015.

1. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I met a few nice people this weekend and at least a few that I made a connection with and I think they liked me too, but I thought it would be too awkward or I wouldn't know what to say to ask for their phone number or email. How do you do this without feeling and sounding awkward?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am definitely a novice when it comes to this area. :icon_redf

Thanks!

(*hug*)

#1 CodeForLife, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. confusedbubble

Ask them for their Facebook addy that's what I do if I'm nervous about coming straight out and asking them for their number that way you can always drop them a message via fb at a later time

3. tulipinacup

Yeah I think adding them on facebook is a good idea.
    I think one way you can ask for their number without feeling awkward is to dive in a conversation and when you guys are about to part ways, subtly ask for their number or go like "Hey, so I'll see you around? Btw can I get your number just in case we can hang out some other time?"

4. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the tips confusedbubble and tulipinacup!

Not to throw a monkey wrench in this, but I don't have a Facebook or really any social media account (unless the deprecated Google plus counts?) and am kind of against creating them. However, I think this advice still holds true:

There were definitely a few clear moments where I could have done this, or the other guy could have too,....thanks for the tip. :slight_smile: I would still feel a little awkward about this since we technically don't live that close to one another (about a 45 minute drive), but maybe I am over-examining this.

5. Katie J

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I don't know about any one set peice of advise beside just know that it could turn awkward. The way I asked my girlfriend out was if she would like to come over and learn how to repair computers. I knew she liked me and so turned the day into a date. We made pizza, I taught her about computers and by the end of the day we were cuddleing on the sofa playing Oblivion on my laptop. That was three years ago now. Do basicly just be yourself and everything will work out, may get a few nos but in the end it will work out.

6. Monraffe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ah, but you see, not feeling awkward is not your objective here. You must embrace your awkwardness in equal parts with your confidence. BOTH are equal and opposite parts of you. Your failure won't come from being awkward. It will come from being disingenuous.

7. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good point. I am always having trouble balancing this: not exposing my real feelings so people can't read/judge me and being disingenuous. There are a lot of people who I care about and I don't outwardly get emotional with, even though inwardly I am.

This is tough though. I guess it really depends on the other person more than you and you should just be yourself, awkward or not. That's easier said than done for me though. :icon_redf