1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do when triggered?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by queermeerkat, Jul 27, 2015.

1. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm v triggered, at school and don't have access to my med's which help me when I'm really anxious like this. Besides me and my triggers that get pulled too often, how about starting a helpful thread?

Tips On Dealing With Triggers:

(WEll mine involve impulse spending, unhealthy amounts of junk food, fiscal irresponsibility and escaping reality through netflix....)

Anyone out there have helpful/healthy tips?

2. SpiritEnergy

I count my fingertips, walk around, eat lots of candy, start to create dialogs with people in my mind, organize things (I'm compulsive). That's what works for me..

3. souverian

I tap my fingers rapidly and dissociate. It's not a great coping mechanism but it happens whether I want it to or not.

Yeah, I'll be watching this thread...

4. Putterpuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was diagnosed with OCD two decades ago and certain things trigger it more than others. Its kindof a lame suggestion, but talking to a friend in those more neurotic times, even if its to talk about something unrelated, is helpful. I find its useful to distract myself from the environment, or myself even, in those more elevated times. Putting the spotlight on someone else like a friend, just to ask them how they are or how their week is, helps pull me out of myself when Im feeling anxious. A good walk with my music on my headphones helps too. Sending good health your way.

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll be watching this thread as well.
    Most of the time I manage to control my anxiety with music or daydreaming. However sometimes I can't control it and I don't rationally think when I am about to have a panic attack.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me:
    >Utilizing an art form as a means of emotional expression, I usually compose on the piano
    >Drowning myself in art by listening to music while looking at photography/paintings that reflect how I'm feeling
    >Meditation or breathing exercises
    >Counting odd numbers backwards from a random number
    >Pattern finger tapping (e.g. index 2x, middle 3x, ring 1x, pinkie 4x, then reverse)
    >Exercise or go for a walk, the hormones released from physical exertion boost your mood
    >Eat chocolate, have a cup of tea or coffee
    >Have a really hot or really cold shower

This is some of what I do when "triggered."

7. randomconnorcon

Honestly... I'm still trying to figure this out.

Sometimes I just sit in the corner in the silence (and preferably the dark) and just stay like that until it passes. If I have the willpower to move, I get my music. But if it's sad and I'm sad, I might start tearing up or thinking of things I shouldn't and while that distracts me from what triggered me it still doesn't help. Twice I've just cried until I just couldn't anymore.

I'm trying to exercise more, if I keep at it I begin to feel better. And because I'm a writer, I try to use that as a tool, but since my last panic attack I've been in sort of a mess and have barely written a thing. I'm getting better, though.

8. fern96

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I have anxiety attacks that have been prompted by a trigger, I quickly dissociate, which I find to be a disturbing experience. My immediate responses to both are to stare at something concrete and normal - a table, for instance - and describe it. Is it big? Small? Round? What wood is it made from? Is it wooden at all? What color is it? And so on...this sort of grounds me. Things areinfinitely worse in your mind than they are in reality, so try to attach yourself to something fairly mundane and normal.

9. Simple Thoughts

browsing this thread I've noticed a slightly recurring theme.

Most of you have something you do in a way that might be described compulsive...that got me thinking

Is that manifestation of anxiety?

I'm wondering because I have certain little quirks of my own...please never leave me alone with a paperclip because I twist them around in this really methodical way, but at the same time there isn't a design in mind it's just like the act of twisting itself needs to be done in this hyper methodic way.

10. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Don't know about everyone else for me it totally is, but that's also because stress makes my OCD worse. Yesterday I was in my car listening to music and to help my stress I listened to the first second of one track for like five minutes, it was compulsive, then turned obsessive...actually took me a while to stop. Perhaps it's a tactic to distract ourselves from our trigger.?

11. fern96

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, Compulsive behaviour is often down to anxiety. I feel like it's proof that my anxiety is BS and not based in reality - I.e., the rituals I'll undertake to satisfy my OCD are responses to such ridiculous worries that i can't truly see them as realistic threats.

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have to remove myself from the "triggering" situation because otherwise I might lash out at people or inanimate objects. Nothing is safe! Ideally, I'll just have a good cry and return to my grandiose thoughts. It really helped to stop telling myself that crying is for weaklings. I realised that it's okay to cry. One of the little things that gave me better access to my emotions.

I can't really escape using music, because my bad mood becomes connected to the song (especially if I'm listening to new music), and then I might feel bad the next time I listen to that song. I only usually listen to music, if I'm feeling happy or at least neutral.

I used to escape using alcohol, but I want to take care of my health, so now I hardly drink alcohol, so yeah... my ego has pros and cons.

I progressively reduced the time I spent doing my one compulsive ritual. I can't seem to stop it for good. However, it only takes around a minute everyday.

13. pace e amore

In my experience people will always say or do something triggering. For me it is anything from how depression is not real to the social justice warrior's "antics".

The only thing I can do is bury those feelings of anger or sadness and let them all out when I'm alone. Like cry in a pillow or go to the gym and just go ape shit on a punching bag. If you have access to a therapist or counselor then they would certainly help, or you could talk to a close friend.

14. Moonflower

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I have severe anxiety have found that walking / jogging helps a whole lot, especially when you build up to the point where you get a significant release of endorphin, which can keep you calm and focused for the rest of the day. It's especially good if you happen to have access in your area to a place where you can walk or jog without having to worry about watching out for traffic or people on bikes-this allows you to use it as an escape. Listening to music is very beneficial, too. It seems to get the maximum benefit from this you have to work yourself up to at least 3 miles in a session. That's what I read and when I started doing it, I found it really helps. It's also taught me discipline instead of compulsion---to do the same thing every day out of routine whether or not I feel like it. I'm starting to be able to transfer this to other things in my life as well. Try it and see if it works for you.