1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need advice for tommorow

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Megan335, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Megan335

So I am now pretty sure I want to be a girl and I want to tell my therapist that helps me with my depression and other issues (depression is winding down thankfully) that I feel this way and see what she has to say.

I just don't know if she handles this type of stuff a lot. Like I don't want to bring it up and be like "Oh hey btw I want to be a girl and I want to be called Megan" and she has no idea how to respond.

Like how should I bring the topic up? Should I tell her at all?

If I do bring it up with her tomorrow I will probably ask for her not to tell my parents. My parents have been a great help this past year with my depression and I really don't want to add something else for them to stress about at least for a while. Plus I feel really stupid and embarrassed about all this even though I cannot change how I feel.

Anyway, I wanted a second opinion

Thanks,

~Megan

#1 Megan335, Jul 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  2. KayJay

I don't think your therapist is allowed to tell your parents legally unless she thinks you may harm yourself or others. So you should be safe that way.

I came out to my therapist second, she was really dismissive about it and wouldn't really follow up with me about it so I had to end up leaving that place. When I told her I just sort of said "I have something that I need to tell you." Then I paused and stuttered a bunch cause I was super nervous, then I told her "I was supposed to be a girl". I wanted to put it in laymen's terms sort of because I wasn't sure if she was knowledgeable about trans issues. She asked me a few questions about it then told me to ignore it and go to school, get a job and house and then "if it still bothers you after all that" to look into it then. That's why I ended up leaving, she didn't even see it as a real issue when it was the root of half my problems all along.

I guess this isn't the most encouraging reply but I wanted to share my experience going through the same thing. I think you should tell her, it'll be good to have someone to talk to about it and hopefully your therapist will be welcoming to exploring this with you. (*hug*)

3. Megan335

Thanks for the reply <3

My therapist has been a good listener so far and I hope she continues to be that way, but I am afraid she will just say "oh it's just your depression" and then push it aside. Like I don't know if I can keep these feelings to myself it's bothering me a lot. Since I have felt this way sorta for a few years(like before my depression) maybe she won't say that.

Not much to lose I guess by just letting it all out on her I guess.

4. Putterpuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Dear Megan,
    I think you are very brave and very inspiring. I wish I had your awareness when I was your age. Be very proud of yourself. It is your therapists responsibility to be accepting of whatever you share with them. Like all people in all jobs, some are better than others, and some are better than others when it comes to certain things. I hope your therapist is welcoming and helpful with your news. If not, hang in there until you are able to find one who is more experienced with these issues. It's definitely important for you to be able to talk about all your feelings in a safe place with someone safe and trustworthy. I cheer you on. There are many of us who understand what you are going through. I hope your conversation goes well, and be proud of your brave honesty!

5. Megan335

awww thanks (*hug*). never got called inspiring before, first time for everything I guess :icon_redf

6. Megan335

I came out to my therapist!!!!!!!!:slight_smile:

7. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    That was a mighty big step, congratulations. :slight_smile:

8. Putterpuff

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Congrats kiddo... That IS very inspiring for sure. Very brave of you to live your truth. Congrats on the talk. How did it go? Did you find her response helpful? Very proud of you, way to go!

9. Megan335

She took it pretty well, I was pretty scared the entire time though...

Today though I am going back to my therapist because ever since I let it out I have been really scared of how people might accept me and I needed to talk to her again. More than likely I will come out to my parents today so I can just move on and start transitioning more without it being a mystery to them really...