1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Same sex marriage

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by QuestioningB, Jul 30, 2015.

1. QuestioningB

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a female and I'm gay. I definitely want to have children when I'm older and when I meet the right woman, but I don't know about the effects of having same sex parents on young children. Im really worried that they won't be happy with having two mothers. I never had a father, so I know what it's like to miss out on that and I never want to purposefully put that onto someone else, especially a young child. I'd always be worried that my children weren't getting everything that they needed or they were being bullied or they thought they were missing out. I need some advice on how what it's like for children of same sex parent families.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure there's been several studies saying that same-sex parents don't negatively impact their children. The notion that a male and female must be present in a household is a flawed and stereotypical way to think about raising children. Their is nothing about raising children that is exclusively male or female based. Not all women are caring and submissive, and not all men are dominant and the breadwinners of the family. Think of it like a relationship. Does every lesbian couple have to have a "butch" and "femme"? Of course not! Using relationship models based on opposite gender pairings isn't the only successful way to make things work. It's the same raising kids. As long as both parents are active and good role models in their lives, why should gender matter? Especially with adopted kids. It's far better to have any parents than no parents looking out for you. I've never understood people who worry about their kids not accepting them for being gay. If the children are raised with gay parents, they will think it's normal. In this way, a same sex couple would bring up a kid to be more open-minded and accepting of all minorities.
    Bottom line: society's gender roles don't mean a thing when raising a kid with love.

3. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't have a negative impact on children. As long as both parents are loving and caring, it doesn't matter if they are a same-sex couple or not.

The idea "we need a father and a mother so a children can grow up in a way they should" is totally bullshit.

You can have a wife and be a great parent! Relax :wink:

4. Lmh927

I've had the same concern... The thought of Father's Day especially. That's hard enough to explain to a child.

5. Cedar

You don't even need two parents to have a good environment for your child. There are plenty of single-parent homes that have good kids and provide a safe environment for their child(ren). This whole idea that "a child needs a mother and a father to be healthy" is complete and total BS, don't let such talk get to your head. Two mums or two dads are perfectly capable of raising a well-balanced child on their own.