1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terrified of dating

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by gloomyra, Aug 1, 2015.

1. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think I need some help. I really would like to start dating, but the idea terrifies me. There's a guy I've liked for awhile now and I feel like he likes me. But I don't know if I can date him or not because I'm sooo nervous. I've been thinking of every excuse for why I shouldn't/can't be his girlfriend. But then when we are together the anxiety goes away and I can't help but flirt with and touch him, and he does the same to me. I don't want to lead him on.

My parents are divorced, one multiple times, and I know some women who've been in seriously bad relationships. I'm so afraid of either of these things happening to me. Every time I begin to feel close to someone I pull away from them. Some of the people I've ruined my chances with could have been perfect for me. And the one that likes me now, I've never felt this way about anyone before.

But the more I like him and the more he seems to like me, the more scared I become. I've never even dated, and I'm afraid of so many things. Divorce, hurting him, him hurting me, sex, being stuck in a bad relationship...

I'm not even sure about my sexuality. I always imagined myself ending up with another girl, even though I liked some guys. Then I met this guy and it felt like everything happened so fast. I even told him I like girls and guys, thinking maybe he wouldn't like me then. But he's just been super supportive and nice, and I like him even more now!

What should I do? Am I not ready to date? How do I get over this fear? And I don't want to lose my chances with him either... :bang:

2. ScaryClosets

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Even though I'm young, I still have the same fear. I push people who like me away, because I'm scared of having a future with them. Me being an anxious person, I haven't gotten over my fear yet. I've thought exactly like you have, and have tried to make excuses to not date someone. It's hard, and I really really really understand your pain.

My answer to this is to face your fear. I have gone through my short life with so many phobias, and it's done nothing but make me scared of the world. Stop resisting, because there's no need to. Just let all those anxious feelings and thoughts go away. If you don't face your fear, you'll end up loosing him. And then you'll feel horrible, which is exactly what you're trying to avoid. Please don't be like me and be stuck with a world full of fear, because it honestly sucks. Face this fear, because you deserve to be happy for once. You're happy around him, are you not? You have no idea how many people have tried searching for the person you have found. And I hate to say it, but if you don't take him...somebody else will. Don't loose someone like that, because then you'll feel really horrible.

I hope this post helped. Sorry if this sounded like I'm pressuring you or something, because I'm not.​

3. gloomyra

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks... I know I need to face my fears. That's what everyone keeps telling me. It's just really hard. I know you know that though. But I know I'll regret it if I don't at least try. Thanks so much.