1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distractions

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Invidia, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I was wondering if anyone has any advice to give on how much distraction is too much?

Okay, first, I need to distract myself more, I'd say I'm running a deficit now.
    I'm struggling with depression (at times suicidal thoughts), anxiety, gender dysphoria... lots of crappiness.
    I play a bit of Pokémon and read some books, and write and play some music (mostly singing). YouTube and EC are also worthy distractions, of course.

The only problem I have with distracting myself more is I have a history of getting addicted to distractions, notably video games.

So, like.... how much is too much?

Weird, anxiety-driven question, probably, sorry.... but any advice?

2. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think it's too much if the distraction becomes an unhealthy obsession, like, if you never get out of the house or do your chores because you're so busy playing videogames or watching youtube videos.
    Not that there's anything wrong with those things, I do them myself, but what I'm trying to say is that if it becomes an unhealthy obsession to the point where it's all you can think about and you just can't wait to finish up whatever you're doing so you can go home and do it some more, then it might be time to cut back.
    It shouldn't take over your life, it should be a nice supplement.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Thank you!

Yeah, I used to play video games like 10-15 hours a day, sometimes I forgot to eat. So I've had unhealthy, extreme addictions before... I don't want to slip in there again.