1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Confederate Flag Outside My Window

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by David21201, Aug 4, 2015.

1. David21201

It seems like everywhere I turn I see one of those damned flags. Now I get to start off my day seeing it because several of my neighbors have them flying.

Those flags scare me. I'm dating somebody who is African-american and I fear I can't even go outside...The other day I walked by and was harrassed by the people.

If my real dad was alive we'd probably have one of those flags. I hate those flags so much...

2. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, that's pretty surprising for CA. :eek: This would definitely bother me too. You must live in a pretty conservative or small city?

I would certainly be cautious about bringing your partner to your area if you have lot of racists nearby, for both your and his/her safety. I am always worried to argue with hate and stupidity though because you can never predict what they're going to do. Or you can predict that they'll do something pretty bad/hurtful. :dry:

I think you just have to put those people in a mental box and put them to the side. It's definitely hard given that you can see the flag everyday, but I would probably just accept that they have their opinion and as long as they are not hurting people about it, you have to just let them be... :eusa_doh:

3. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

Down with the confederacy, I say! If there was any flag that needed a burning it would be the rebel flag! Those inconsiderate rednecks are practically a plague in my home town, marching whenever they can around the outside of the local museum with their stupid little flags. Burn them! Burn all the rebel flags you can find! First amendment rights, damnit! I think I'm getting a little too worked up over this right now...I'll let myself out... :icon_redf

4. David21201

Luckily (not really) my partner lives in the Baltimore area... I'd rather have them live here though. It's just very disconcerning.... for me at least...

Those damn flags are everywhere

5. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never seen a Confederate Flag flying here (though in all honesty it wouldn't shock me if one were to appear on my area)

6. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm in Florida, and it's ridiculous here. Sometimes I feel like I ended up in an alternate timeline where the Confederates won.

Seriously, does no one realize what it says to African Americans when they fly that flag? I'm fortunate to have parents that are against it, but there are many people here who seem to think that it has nothing whatsoever to do with slavery.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Here's what we need to do: Round up all the confederate flags, tie dye them, and sew them into a big rainbow flag. Fly it over their little heads.

Sort of like that one company that rolled up a bunch of homophobic hate mail and arranged them into a big cursive "Love"

8. David21201

Thats really cool! ^.^

I'll help you with this project.

So at one of the neighbors houses we think the flag was stolen by our neighborhood Mexican or Hmong gang. Thank you again gang members.

(Tbh I have a lot of respect for the gangs in the area here. They all get along and help others more so than themselves)

9. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In all honesty when it comes to the Confederate Flag some people are just being stupid. They are not necessary racists but they think it is funny and rebellious and love to pretend like the flag is the coolest thing ever. I do live in a part of Minnesota where there is not many black people but seriously these people around why I live thing it is cool to show off a confederate flag just to be rebellious. Personally i think it is in bad taste but i know they are just being stupid more than being racist and it does not make me uncomfortable.

#9 dano218, Aug 5, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  10. Cedar

I've seen some of those flags here in Canada as well... It's a bit disconcerting, to say the least.

11. MetalRice

I'm sorry about the flag, I hate it too, especially as a Southerner; it enrages me even more to see it still flying around like it is.