1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why is it difficult for others to be honest?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by CyanChachki, Aug 6, 2015.

1. CyanChachki

I'm very, very frustrated right now. More than I've ever been and it makes me want to snap at people, just to ask them this question:

"Why can't you just be honest?!"

Really? Why do some people find it so damn hard to be honest? Most of my offline friends and family, who I care for very much, are either lying to my face or they're unresponsive/in hiding whenever I ask them for an honest opinion.. And then there are the ones who ARE honest but give me the wrong answer. Today was a simple question. I wanted to know other people's opinion on my art work because I felt like my drawing wasn't good enough to enter the art competition and I wanted to hear everyone else's thoughts.

Along comes my sister who thinks she has the answer in the bag and tells me that it doesn't matter what other people's opinions are, basically wording it like I'm desperate for attention when all I wanted was an opinion. I am an open book when it comes to my artwork. If people don't like it, they don't like it. I'm not going to throw a tantrum like the other snooty artists I've met when being critiqued.

I don't know if this is my low point or what but I'm just not having it today with the tons of liars/hiders. People sugar coat things and say that I'm the best at what I do because they don't want to hurt my feelings and it annoys me like no other..

2. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When it comes to any form of artwork or...well when you ask someone their opinion on something it gets really difficult. One one hand some people are really sensitive and don't truly want criticism, but they want to be told they're good or doing well. Some people also don't want to hurt someone's feelings or offend them by being honest. Then there are people like you (and me!) who want real answers. It's really hard in this society to get honest answers because of people trying to be "polite", politically correct and not hurt feelings. If you want honest opinions on something like art best ask people who are other artists who don't mince words!

3. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The world would be a much simpler place if there were no secrets or deceit. We wouldn't have fake friends, romantic relationships would be more wholesome, and there would be peace among all people. Well, at least I'd like to think that. But sadly, it's just a fleeting wish never to be fulfilled in my lifetime.

4. Maea96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We humans are built in a weird way. There are several reasons why people are not honest. Were too afraid to be honest, because we dont want to be perceived as bad people. We all have our own secrets, we all have some opinions and thoughts that we keep to ourselves. And were all too proud to be vulnerable and show our weak side.

Being honest and truthful requires courage and strenght. Sometimes we have those things, sometimes we dont. All we can do is place our trust in people and try to be as positive as possible. Give them time, to understand and realize. Make them comfortable with the idea that, even though you might not agree with me, its all right.

5. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think people don't like to be honest solely on the fact of what if someone thinks their opinion or idea is silly or stupid. No one likes to be made a fool of and I think we are vulnerable when we show are true selves and take it personalty when someone doesn't like something you said or do.

With that said from personal experience some people have no problem with telling it as it is, maybe they have better self-esteem or self-confidence. Sometimes people choose to lie because they want to have this reputation of being kind, so they sugarcoat the reality to everyone, even their friends. And sometimes people never want others to be sad for what they said, maybe from past experiences.

I think society has build this wall where people should always be politically correct about everything, where the truth is always hidden behind the lies.

With your art it may be better to ask people who are generally involved or have a love for art, to ask for their opinion. Sometimes asking strangers could even be better than your friends will ever be.