1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being bullied and harassed at work

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Solitude98, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Solitude98

Solitude98 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm a tutor at a summer camp but all my students are my age (16-18 year olds) but since I have exceptionally high math scores I was hired. No one takes me seriously, everyone disrespects me in one shape or form. Word got out that I'm gay after I made some really careless comment when asked if I would rather do Selena Gomez or Kendall Jenner and I responded “neither I would rather Austin Mahone”….. “I mean I would do him as a friend…what?!”… sigh, forgot my audience thee for a second, not sure what the hell came over me, but one of my students lets call him Zach started going around with his jerk friends saying I'm weird and what not.

Now a few weeks have passed and while waiting on me to arrive at the camp site for his tutoring session he witnessed my mom and dad verbally assaulting me outside the car over being a bad Christian and an embarrassment to our family, when Zach and I sat down for his session he was different, he was attentive, quiet and kept staring at me. Now every time I saw him and his idiotic friends on the camp site I would walk as fast as I could and his friends would mutter things he would stay quiet or look towards his girlfriend

About a week later we had a awkward run in at the hospital were I volunteer, I came into his grandfathers suite to deliver some crackers and snacks and he was there. I said hello and he said hello back, when I walked out the room his grandfather with his rude self makes some comment loud enough for me to hear about how he's heard about me being "crocked"

The next day I went to work dreading it, hoping God would just strike me dead already and walked into the open lawn where everyone has lunch, long and behold Zach and his troops were there. For a split second I took off my watch and placed it on the table to find my wrist band that is part of my uniform and one of Zach's friend's came and snatched it, like a lunatic I went after him demanding he gave it back and what does he do....throws it over to the lake and tells me go fetch! While the other one is wailing my lunch box in the air, I didn't have time to react because that watch was a gift to me from my deceased older brother so Zach sort of yelled at them as I stormed out.

I got home that evening told my mom and dad and of course it was my fault, I provoked them, everything is my fault since my brother passed away those two have misplaced anger. That night Zach came over and I really wanted to just shut the door in his face, he hands me a gift-like bag and insists I take it and leaves immediately. I unravel the wrapper, open the box and it’s a brand new watch and inside the clock itself there's a print that reads “you're awesome” and I teared because that is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me.

#1 Solitude98, Aug 6, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  2. Honest4You

Honest4You Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dude this is such a touching story, I hope things clear up for you and remember you're so much more above those clowns.

I also laughed at the part about "doing" Austin Mahone....lolz made my night :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Sky82

Unfortunately we will always come across bullies and all round nasty people. As long as you stay true to yourself and be the better person, you will be fine. I'd keep close to Zach, is he reaching out to you for help? Or does he secretly fancy you but scard to act upon it?

You always have people here to vent off too (*hug*)

4. Emerson96

Emerson96 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The ending of this story moved me a bit! I'm glad that Zach pulled through, what do you plan on doing with him? It seems like he's grown empathy towards you.

Sucks that this is happening to you but you need to speak up at work. I would notify administration that you're being harassed and disrespected by the camp members etc.

5. Solitude98

Solitude98 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks all for the support, well I don't know what the deal is with Zach and I'm not really entertaining him, I went to work today and minded my own buisness and didn't even see him, but he's been texting me since the incident trying to make small talk and I for the most part just ignore his text messages.

#5 Solitude98, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  6. Cedar

You should definitely notify the admin about what's been going on. Just be sure to check what the morals of the camp are and what laws are in your state/country. I would hate it if you lose your job because of this but you shouldn't have to go to your tutoring work just to be humiliated like that by campers. As for this kid that is reaching out to you. I don't really know what to say about that since I don't really understand his motives(if he has any). Perhaps you can try to put him down gently and explain that you don't want to risk your job at the campsite by having a questionable relationship with a camper. Perhaps you can try to see what he wants after your job is finished, if you're curious? Though it is your decision ultimately and if you don't want to figure out this kid's motives, it really isn't something you should be bothering with.

7. Emerson96

Emerson96 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I second this, btw he did mention though that Zach has a girlfriend so he's presumably straight.

8. Solitude98

Solitude98 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really want to say something but I feel like if I say something all the guys are going to call me a wimp so I just have to suck it up. Zach is Zach he has a girlfriend and he's not interested in guys if he was I think I would have known...maybe. Thanks for the word of advice though (&&&)

9. Cedar

I wasn't trying to say that he was interested in having that type of relationship with you. I don't know what his motives are. Maybe he wants to be nothing more than to simply be supportive towards you? Perhaps he doesn't want other people to think that he's interested in that type of relationship with you since he's trying to be friendly with you in a more "private" environment. If I may ask, how much longer is this job going to last? Perhaps you can try to find another way around this like maybe return jabs in a humoured manner? I don't really know what's acceptable at this camp and what isn't so don't mind me *shrugs*.