1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Religion issues?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Gamer4now, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So i was talking to my mom about problems with my step-dad and it usually starts with "I raised you to be nicer than this, this is not how Christians treat people." I usually leave after that not wanting to know any other religion things she might bring up. This makes me feel like I'm a terrible person and a mistake. My mom had two or three miscarriages before me and i feel like any of them would of been a better person than i am now. It horrifies me to think what my step-family would say since their catholic and homophobic. I didn't know anyone else to talk to so i came here please post any religion problems you may have had had thanks!

2. Closet Shut

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey there, I'm much older.. but I can understand what it's like coming from a Catholic background, but what exactly is making you feel like a bad person.. is it the fact that you're gay? & what's going on with your step-dad? & if you're not out to them, or are not comfortable coming out, then maybe you should keep it quiet for a bit, until you're ready, don't put yourself in a situation that's too much for you, & while I'm older.. I also live with family, & it's something that I keep to myself because of judgement, & it's a conflict, due to being Catholic.

3. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I made a post with my story i don't know how to link it or if you can get to it through my profile so if you'll let me know i'll try.

What makes me feel like a bad person to my family is that my siblings have been raised to be amazing Christians they both went to church (ones an atheist however) and always knew right from wrong. I feel like i ruined this by being gay and having my step-dad being catholic and homophobic doesn't make me feel welcome in my own home. I once heard him say while some commercial for a tv show which just happened to have a gay couple in it he said "Ewwww..... two guys kissing" and immediately left the room.

I don't plan to come out anytime soon either my life is just depressing and overwhelming

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As a Christian, you are not expected to be perfect and free from any or all character flaws and nor is your mom or anyone else actually. I am a Christian and I have many, many flaws and vices (I don't count my sexuality as one of them though). In the Gospels, Jesus had a lot to say about judging, criticising and moralising, yet some Christian people are very quick to do all of those things - sounds like your step-dad is one of them. They need to wake up and smell the coffee! It's so bad in fact, that some clergymen and women prefer to keep company with non-Christians during their free time - I'm really not joking, when I say that.

I'm afraid some Christians like to manipulate the religion to suit their own narrow outlook on life, instead of looking at the bigger picture. Trouble is, it makes them look very preachy and turns people away in droves.

As long as you are not being really vindictive or nasty, you are fine.