1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How long did it take for you to start HRT?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Megan335, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Megan335

I am pretty sure I want to transition to a girl but my parents do not seem all that convinced really. I mean if I went to them and asked if I could start HRT they would probably say no. I just don't know how long I can sit here and do nothing. I just really want to get this starting so I can start being myself.

I did not know if any other people had this problem and could offer some advice, I don't know if I should just wait till I am not a minor anymore or something?

Any advice is really appreciated. One more thing I would like to ask is if anyone had trouble imagining what they would look like as a girl, it has been bothering me a lot.

2. KayJay

I do believe you would need parental consent to start HRT if you are under age. Many young trans people face this problem and it is really hard to deal with because you're quite honestly trapped. If you've already come out to your parents then I doubt there would be much harm in asking, so you could try that if you absolutely cannot wait. Luckily you are almost old enough to not be a minor anymore, which is definitely something you can be happy about :slight_smile:

If you ask your parents no matter what they say it may be a good idea to look for local LGBT support groups you can attend, there usually aren't limited age restrictions to join them and it may help you cope with the waiting and you may meet some people there to make friends with and/or ask questions to in person.

Almost everyone facing transition is afraid of how they will end up looking. It is a scary process in that way since people want to still look good! Heck I used to have prominent facial hair just a fear years ago and here I am now looking fabulous. Even just longer hair and makeup can do wonders for how people will percieve you. I'm even not really bothered with changing my voice much at all and I'm gendered correctly most of the time.

3. Megan335

Thanks for the response. I could ask i guess but I have only I guess come to the conclusion of pretty sure I am trans around 1.5 months ago and I suppose my parents don't want me to rush things. I mean don't get me wrong I have always had the feeling that I should be a girl, it just started out small and then grew over time to the point some days and times I can feel kinda depressed about it.

Only problem is that I have asked girls out before and i think that might have them confused. Who knows I might be bisexual as well because I have also felt a slight attraction to men well, but with girls I feel like I envy them more than I do feel attracted.

I mean these might be reasons my parents might say no to HRT at the moment.

#3 Megan335, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015