1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Judging based on looks

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MZRaven, Aug 9, 2015.

1. MZRaven

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been a open lesbian for 29 years and I will never understand why some gay men and more recently a lot of the younger lesbians think it is okay to post video's of others then make fun of the way they look. Most of the time it is of women. I mean seriously (to gay men) what do you care how she looks? It is not like you are interested in her.

This is some thing that makes me extremely angry and i do jump on people about it. You would think that GLBT's who have been discriminated against would refrain from doing the same thing to others.

This is the kind of BS that caused many lesbians back when I first came out to want women only spaces and did not like hanging around gay men. But to see younger lesbians buying into the same crap and think that a woman has to be a 10 in their is bullshit.

2. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that it is just a gay thing. There are superficial, insensitive people of every orientation. I just try to stay away from them. If they approach me and insult me, I just smile and act friendly towards them. It confuses them and pulls them off of their high horse.

3. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I really don't respect people who make fun of people based on how they look.

However, I don't see anything wrong with telling someone that they look good. :grin:

4. Lyana

Yeah, definitely not just a gay thing. I've never seen this stuff happen, to be honest (posting videos of people to make fun of them), but of course judging based on looks I have witnessed.

One would hope so, yes... But humans are flawed, and there is a lot of diversity in the LGBT community. There are saints, there are assholes, and there are normal people. Really, we're not doing anyone any good by holding LGBT people to a higher standard than others.
    Of course it's not right to judge someone based on their perceived attractiveness, and it infuriates me, too -- but humans are human. They are flawed, sometimes hugely so. You can try to educate people, but sadly, there's very little we can do about it, except hold ourselves to the standard we wish others held themselves.

5. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    We're living in a shallow world, I blame the media.

But to be posting videos of others and poke fun at them is totally unacceptable, that's bullying regardless of their age/gender/orientation. *sigh* younger generations have so much to learn.