1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice needed about work

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Asterac22, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Asterac22

I am looking for advice on a situation that is happening at work. I work in a supermarket and on this particular evening i was upstairs getting myself ready to leave, when i heard one of my co-workers over the tannoy system repeatedly saying a name of a customer bluntly. Whilst they was in the shop because we close at 8pm and they was still shopping at 5 past, its worth pointing out this customer has down-syndrome. Me and a few other colleagues found this quite unprofessional and discriminatory due to the fact that if it was any other customer this situation wouldn't have arisen at all. After speaking to one of the colleagues they told me he did a similar thing a couple of weeks ago as well.

I went to tell the store manager but he really didn't seem bothered at all telling me that he was told the customer kept refusing to go to a till so took another 10 min for him to be served and that he said that the duty manager at the time should have delt with this. I felt this was not good enough and i want to go to HR and make a formal complaint against the staff member but my only concern is i also use to date him, which makes me feel that if i did go and complain then they could turn around and say i am just bitter or something and try to turn it around on me.

Any help at all would be much welcome :slight_smile:

2. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Would you have felt the same way (needing to turn him into HR) if you had never dated him before?

If the store manager did not feel the need to escalate the situation and no one was harmed, I personally don't think it makes sense to report it higher up, unless it was really belligerent.

I agree that you have a conflict of interest. That's why, in general, it's never a good idea to date a co-worker.

I'm not trying to be insensitive or anything, just apply logic, so please don't feel attacked. (*hug*)

3. Asterac22

No i see your point i was thinking about it and possibly no but his attitude is quite poor hes bad mouthed other staff etc also which is one of the reasons i broke up with him (the attitude side), which makes me feel like i should at least say something.

I kinda wish i didn't date him now it does get in the way every so often as well and no i dont feel you are attacking me think i just needed someone to kinda lay it out in front of me thanks :slight_smile: (*hug*)