1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I tell my psychiatrist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DunedainRanger, Aug 11, 2015.

1. DunedainRanger

Out Status:
    A few people
    This would be the first time I have seen them, and I have a lot of issues I want to discuss--depression, anxiety and some other things . . . I am transgender, and I have known I was a girl for as long as I can remember. I am just trapped in the wrong body, and it hurts . . .

I want to discuss this during my appointment, but I am afraid they would tell me something like that I m delusional and gender confused, even though I know I am not. I know exactly what my gender is, and badly want to let the world know . . . I have known my gender my whole life . . . I want to tell the psychiatrist at my appointment, but I am terrified of what they will say . . .

Does anyone know how a psychiatrist would react if I told them this? Would they just tell me I m delusional, or would they actually get me the help that I need?

2. OfTheKokiri

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I can only speak from my own experience with a psychologist. She was a great listener and would offer her insight into my explanations for how I feel. Sometimes she would not agree with my reasonings on certain feelings. She would help me pick them a part and provide a different persepctive. But she could tell when I was getting upset on some of her promptings and she would steer the conversation else where and leave it be until later.

I have learned that you can't leave stuff out. You really have to tell them everything with regards to what is bothering you. If you are not willing enough to trust them with you being transgender then you can't build a good client-counselor bond which is needed for you to be able to accpet the help from a virtual stranger.

That's not to say that all professionals are helpful and understanding. But you need to try and start somewhere so I suggest you tell them if it does not put you in any danger.

Good luck!

#2 OfTheKokiri, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, it's their job to not discount your feelings, and it sounds like this would have to be a big part of your therapy approach. That said, if they don't have experience, you can always ask for them to refer you to someone who understands gender/trans issues better.

4. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They will only be able to help you using the information that you tell them. I think that telling them that you are transgender will help them better understand you, and be able to help you more. Also, like resu said, if the person does not feel that they are qualified, then they could refer you to somebody who is better qualified.

5. RainOnVII

I agree with all the posters above. In my experience, they've always been more about listening and offering suggestions/comments than outright telling you what they think. If you're psychiatrist is too forceful, they don't understand, or you two just don't click, you could always request a different psychiatrist.

#5 RainOnVII, Aug 11, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015