1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

schizophrenia - gay support group?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by baz201, Aug 13, 2015.

1. baz201

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi

I'm a gay man living with schizophrenia. I was wondering if there are any online support services / groups for gays and lesbians who suffer from this illness?

I noted the following information from a local Australian Schizophrenia Fellowship website
    Sex and Gender Issues - Schizophrenia Fellowship of NSW Inc

"There is virtually no research available that investigates the needs of gay men and lesbians who have schizophrenia. Much of the literature which deals with gay and lesbian people focuses on other mental health problems, especially those related to depression and substance abuse. No research inquiring specifically into outcomes for gay and lesbian individuals who have schizophrenia could be uncovered by an extensive search of a number of databases of psychiatric, medical or sociological literature, legislative acts or in text books relating to homosexuality and mental health."

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It may be difficult finding a support service specifically for a gay sub-section, but maybe you could target schizophrenia groups as a whole and internationally and then ask the question of each group.

Or encourage them to set up a support tailored to gay people .. take the lead yourself? A great project.