1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Can I Stop Being So Resentful Towards My Mother?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ZenMusic, Aug 14, 2015.

1. ZenMusic

It's painful for me to talk about this, but I can''t let this get to me anymore. About a year and a half ago, my Mother broke my trust and told my Dad I am gay. She had kept my sexuality a secret for a year and did not disclose the information until my Dad asked her. As someone from an extremely strict, Nigerian family, he did not take it well. I'm not going to go into it, but needless to say, that was the worst time of my life. I almost killed myself. A few months ago, my sister had told me that 8 years ago, my mother did the same thing to her, and my mother has shown no remorse for her actions, and doesn't seem to think she owes either me and my sister an apology for what she has done. But it's up to Charelle if she wants an apology off of her, so I'm just going to talk about what I think. I tried writing my mother a letter forgiving her for her actions, but she, metaphorically, threw it back in my face and said "How dare you blame me for this!" She has used a scenario where her friend did not want my Mum to tell her grandmother she had been raped and the fact that "well, there's more than just you in this family, and it's not fair for me to keep things from my husband" to justify her actions. Now, I completely understand where she is coming from, but after saying this, she absolves herself of all responsibility and as per usual, puts the blame on someone else, namely me.

Now, the problem is, I have lost masses of respect for her because of what has happened. I don't like spending time with her, I don't like telling her about my problems, I don't want to bond with her, I don't even like speaking to her really. One part of me tells me I'm being petty and I just need to get over it, but I can't do that because I have little respect left for her, and because of how apathetic and cold she was to everyone involved in this incident. I don't know what to do, I want to stop being so angry but this is in my way. I've tried forgiving her but she just doesn't want to listen. What should I do,

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hi, Zen. I'm sorry to hear you're struggling with your relationship with your mom. I might not be able to give you much advice, since I'm pretty much in the same situation myself.

When some shit happened in my childhood my mom dragged me to therapy. I begged her no. She still did it, and I lost a lot of respect and mostly trust for her.
    Also now that I've come out as trans, although she's been accepting, she keeps misgendering me etc., making me not want to be with her.
    I'm discussing it in therapy. I don't know whether that could help you or whether you feel you need it.

Something that helps me sometimes is that, even though I might have some bitter feelings toward her now... she's still my mom. And I remember the good times, which helps me be a bit closer to her now.

Hope that helps at all.
    Take care!

(*hug*)

3. ZenMusic

Thanks for that Becki, I appreciate it. I did mind at first that she was saying dumb things about gay people, but that really isn't the problem any more. It's just......The more she deflects responsibility, the more I feel as if it's my fault. Even in day to day conversations, I get uncomfortable talking about her, because she has a history of being over-sensitive, and it never feels like she's actually listening to you. And I'm not the first child who has this perception of her, my three older siblings will all say the same thing, amongst other traits of her personality, such as her being catty and obnoxious, or petty and childish. It gets really hard to be positive or have sympathy for her sometimes. She has had a heart attack in the past 6 months, and she constantly uses that, along with the fact that she has high blood pressure, as a trump card or an excuse to have an attitude problem with people. Now I'm going to be honest, there have been times where I have not been completely polite with her, or I have made the situation harder than it needs to be, but both my Dad and my Mum always manage to take it too far, especially my Dad, which I'm not going to get into right now. I'm just going to say my only good memories of him were in the first 10 years of my life and even then he was "strict". Now I have almost no respect for him whatsoever. I seem to always be going back to things concerning my Mother that show the more distasteful parts of her personality. It's hard to stay positive, though.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

It's not your fault, Zen... (*hug*)

My mother also tends to use trump cards or more often making herself look like the victim when I am trying to discuss something about how I want her to treat me or so.

It can be hard to stay positive. As for me, I'm mostly holding out for that time will bring fortune... it's not like I want to have a distant relationship with my mom, more like... it's just hard to be close, because of many things... :frowning2:

~lots of love

#4 Invidia, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  5. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Let me have a go at this. You might not agree with me but I think you have to hear this. To get a better insight on your current situation.

Let's begin with your Mother and how she "outed" you to your Dad...

As you mentioned you came out to your mom and that she had kept it a secret from your dad for about a year. I assume you were in agreement that she keep it a secret? Marriage is a completely different world when it comes to relationships. With marriage honesty fosters a strong marriage as Husband and Wife (in your family's case) are essentially ONE. Spouses have somewhat of an obligation to share matters concerning the family and each of its members. When spouses start to keep secrets from each other it is the start of the undoing of the marriage. Think of it this way secrets kept from spouses are like arsenic, poison. Too much and it becomes lethal.

If you think about it your mom kept the secret for as long as she could. It obviously shows that she did make a conscious effort to keep your sexuality a secret. Maybe this secret put unnecessary strain on her well-being, caused her stress, sleepless nights, etc. Maybe that one year was her breaking point she needed to finally share it with your dad to relieve the strain and finally have someone to share the weight of the matter regarding their son.

Was it fair for you to get hurt by her action? Yes. But to say you have "massively" lost respect for her is really unnecessary if not uncalled for. You say you forgave her but the truth of the matter is based on reading your post you have really held on to the resentment and anger. Why did she not accept your "forgiveness" letter? Because in her world she did nothing wrong, simple as that. She doesn't view the matter through your eyes.

I'd also like to discuss the matter of her attitude in general and how it relates to her Health (heart attack, high blood)...

Do you know that in Medical School we were taught how to cope up with patients with attitude problems (angry, obnoxious, catty, over-sensitive, etc.)? Yes a high number of patients or ill persons in general experience a shift or change in their mood, emotions and attitudes because of the stress of having an illness. Your mother is not alone at this, and she is not a unique case of using her illness as you say a "trump card" or an excuse for her attitude. It only goes to show she is aware that her illness is causing her stress, and the stress in turn causes her bad attitude.

As for calling it a "trump card" or an excuse. You cannot say that what she says is not valid. You cannot simply assume that she uses her illness as an excuse. Why? because you haven't had the experience of having a heart attack or having high blood pressure. Even if you give massive loads of empathy (which in your case is somewhat absent) you cannot say that you know what she feels or doesn't feel because you haven't had the same experience, condition or situation as hers.

If you want my advice on how to be less resentful. It's as simple as being true to yourself, you haven't forgiven her. Let go of the anger, let go of the resentment, and forgiveness will follow.

#5 Blue787Bunny, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  6. Gen

Gen

I am sorry, but there are several issues to this.

A parent's loyalty lies first with a child. There is absolutely no excuse for revealing information about your child that could put their safety and well-being in danger. Even in the case that she genuinely felt bothered by not telling the husband, then she should have come to her child and told them that they need to sit down with their father and come out to him. She should have allowed them to do it on their terms and emotionally prepare themselves. Not reveal something that their child entrusted them with on a whim.
    Not being LGBTQ is not an excuse for outing people. You may not be entirely aware of the damage that you can cause by outing someone from a heterosexual perspective; however, feeling as though it is still not a serious issues after your child opened themselves up to you and made you aware of the fact that your actions nearly pushed them to suicide shows either an extreme lack of empathy for their well-being or more likely an extremely level of stubbornness to admit when one has caused other harm.

His behavior is not resentful in nature as he already stated that the issue is not that she outed him, rather the fact that she continues to belittle his feelings and has never showed remorse for any of the damage that she has done. That is not resentful. That is acknowledging that you would rather not open up yourself to someone who is still displaying the same behavior that cause you harm in the first place.

Blood pressure and heart troubles can absolutely factor into mood swings and aggressive behavior, but it does not hinder one's judgment. If this were a situations where she was snapping at him then coming back later and apologizing, then blaming her health would be a valid excuse. However, that is not the behavior that she is displaying. She is displaying a lack of accountability in addressing the ways that her actions effort others. Patients who suffer from mood swings come to feel apologetic and display reasonable emotions after they have calm themselves down and thought the situation over.

She is either convinced that she has done nothing wrong or knows that she has but is too stubborn to apologize and admit a mistake to her child. Health can effect mental health, but it is not an excuse for selective bad behavior or judgment.

7. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    First I'd like to mention this is the first time someone has rebuffed me in a thread. I actually really appreciate it. I value whenever someone wants me to reassess my concepts and thoughts on a matter. :slight_smile:

I am sorry, but there are several issues to this.

A parent's loyalty lies first with a child. There is absolutely no excuse for revealing information about your child that could put their safety and well-being in danger. Even in the case that she genuinely felt bothered by not telling the husband, then she should have come to her child and told them that they need to sit down with their father and come out to him. She should have allowed them to do it on their terms and emotionally prepare themselves. Not reveal something that their child entrusted them with on a whim.

I have several issues with this statement...

First of all the Mother in this case is not solely a mother. She is a spouse, a spouse before she even became a mother. The problem lies wherein the child or the OP expects loyalty which he views as an emotional quality of relationships that can and must be shared UNEQUALLY, to be biased towards him. However as you said "A parent's loyalty lies first with a child." I believe this simply is no the case.

If you read on Psychiatric Books on the Psychology of Distressed Families. You can be loyal to both child and spouse however the most successful marriages have partners who transfer their primary loyalties to their new partner. Mom-Child (OP) still be core relationships, but if there is any important conflict, decision, schedule, or issue to decide, the default must move to the spouse and couple. (except in the case of abuse, violence, rape etc.)

Another point that was not taken in to consideration here is that they come from a "strict Nigerian upbringing". Nigerian families are also guided by the strict system of seniority. The issue of seniority cuts across the nation and it is so clear that it is mostly guided by male egoistic ideology. Married woman are forced to continue with the family norm of seniority. Therefor with the father/husband being essentially the most "senior" in the family, the mother in this case might be obligated to render her loyalty to her husband above everyone else. We simply cannot enforce unto them our Westernized notions of "children first" because it's a whole different culture. Shall we say a cultural divide.

In my previous post I had mentioned that yes the OP had the right to get hurt. After all yes it was a betreyal of trust. I just said that losing "massive" respect for your mother is another thing. I did not absolve the mother for her actions. I simply gave basis or tried to explain why she may have did it.

And you're quite on point on how she might have approached it better.

Not being LGBTQ is not an excuse for outing people. You may not be entirely aware of the damage that you can cause by outing someone from a heterosexual perspective; however, feeling as though it is still not a serious issues after your child opened themselves up to you and made you aware of the fact that your actions nearly pushed them to suicide shows either an extreme lack of empathy for their well-being or more likely an extremely level of stubbornness to admit when one has caused other harm.

His behavior is not resentful in nature as he already stated that the issue is not that she outed him, rather the fact that she continues to belittle his feelings and has never showed remorse for any of the damage that she has done. That is not resentful. That is acknowledging that you would rather not open up yourself to someone who is still displaying the same behavior that cause you harm in the first place.

As I have mentioned in my previous post. Let us give credit to the mom. She did in the longest time she could (which was a year) held onto the secret of her child. We are simply looking into the ends and not the means. Yes eventually what she did was wrong and yes I found that valid in my previous post.

I cannot debate or at the very least give my insight to what had happened between the father and the OP because he was pretty vague on the matter. He just said he had almost caused him suicide. Without the facts of the matter I cannot give my opinion.

The OP's behavior is not resentful? It's in the title of the thread itself--- How Can I Stop Being So Resentful Towards My Mother?

Other examples--- I have lost masses of respect for her because of what has happened. I don't like spending time with her, I don't like telling her about my problems, I don't want to bond with her, I don't even like speaking to her really. One part of me tells me I'm being petty and I just need to get over it, but I can't do that because I have little respect left for her, and because of how apathetic and cold she was to everyone involved in this incident. I don't know what to do, I want to stop being so angry but this is in my way.

Blood pressure and heart troubles can absolutely factor into mood swings and aggressive behavior, but it does not hinder one's judgment. If this were a situations where she was snapping at him then coming back later and apologizing, then blaming her health would be a valid excuse. However, that is not the behavior that she is displaying. She is displaying a lack of accountability in addressing the ways that her actions effort others. Patients who suffer from mood swings come to feel apologetic and display reasonable emotions after they have calm themselves down and thought the situation over.

She is either convinced that she has done nothing wrong or knows that she has but is too stubborn to apologize and admit a mistake to her child. Health can effect mental health, but it is not an excuse for selective bad behavior or judgment.

For someone who has been in the hospital setting handling patients in different capacities for more than 11yrs (I was a BSN for my undergraduate) this statement "Patients who suffer from mood swings come to feel apologetic and display reasonable emotions after they have calm themselves down and thought the situation over." is untrue.

I've had geriatric patients spit on me. I've had colleagues who were punched. Colleagues who were slapped. And No they never said sorry. And they were not mentally ill patients either.

And again what I will say to you is what I said to the OP. You cannot say that what she says is not valid. You cannot simply assume that she uses her illness as an excuse. Why? because you haven't had the experience of having a heart attack or having high blood pressure. Even if you give massive loads of empathy you cannot say that you know what she feels or doesn't feel because you haven't had the same experience, condition or situation as hers.

8. ZenMusic

The reason I didn't delve into my attempted suicide is because it is a time of my life I'd rather forget. My Mum is from London and my Dad is Nigerian, and he was the absolute main problem when I was outed. That is why I wrote the letter. I'd written that even though I felt hurt, there was no excuse for my Dad acted over the week, everything from threatening to kill me in front of my Mother if I ever said I was gay again, to threatening to leave because he'd thought he'd failed me as a child, and here comes another part of this story. I often vent to my older 3 siblings (who will say that my Mum and Dad exhibited these same traits years before this happened) and I was talking to my older brother (who was estranged from the family at the time, I'm afraid that is a very long story so I'll have to leave it out for now, let's just say both my parents and him were at fault) and my oldest sister, who was my parents first born ( who has had problems with my parents going back to 2006, when she was 19, so that is almost 10 years of experience she has of being in conflict with them, not only that, my sister is Bisexual, and my mother did the exact same thing to her, and my Dad threatened to throw her out.) and because I didn't feel safe at home prior to this (I hated having to come home from school, and although there were times my parents had every right to be angry at me, after my brother became estranged from our family, my Dad had....changed towards me, he begun to emotionally abuse me, and call me names when he was angry or annoyed at me, and believe me, he has an extremely short temper, one my siblings had to deal with even before I was born, there were times he had thrown shoes at me, hit me with towels and other things. Now he had hit his kids before, and had even had an altercation with my older brother, but this was the worst that I'd seen him do these things.) My sister had said that if things get really bad, I can come live with her. She was saying this even during the incident. My brother, however, has an even worse relationship with my Dad than I do, said that when I'm old enough, I should cut him out of my life, and my parents constantly use the excuse that he could have "influenced me", and that I should hate my Dad on my own, which, and I wouldn't say I hate him, I do, but when I was speaking to my counsellor about this, she said if I was that easily influenced, I would have believed my Dad when he was saying that gay people are terrorists and that gay kids have "no future." It had gotten that bad at the time that I'd said I wanted to go into care. My Dad agreed to this at first,but later in the day, he changed his mind, and said whatever plans my brother and I have can wait until I am not under his roof any more. Before this, my Dad forced me to log into my Facebook so he could see what messages I'd sent to my siblings. During this time, I was also ill, and had to undergo surgery. My Dad was there for the entire time, and my Mum seems to think this seems to absolve him of any responsibility for what he'd done for the past 3 days. And those are all the important and pertinent pieces of information regarding my relationship with my mother, along with the fact that she was diagnosed with Bipolar a few years ago, along with PTSD, though I'm not sure she still has either of these conditions. It may explain why she initiates arguments with people, complains about people putting up her blood pressure when she is the one who puts herself in those predicaments to begin with, and then acts as if nothing has has happened literally a few minutes later.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

You have all the reason to feel misunderstood and mistreated by your father and your mother, Zen. I am so sorry that happened to you.

hugs

10. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like a terrible situation and I'm genuinely sorry you had to go through it. But on this one I have to agree with Blue787Bunny. I think you should cut your mother some slack. I think we have a tendency to forget that the whole coming out drama doesn't just happen to us but happens to those around us, especially those who care about us. To be honest I don't think it's fair to expect someone to keep something, especially something big that affects them, from their spouse. I just don't--that's not how relationships, at least the good ones, work.

I remember I came out to my mother and I told her not to tell my father. She agreed but then a couple days later she came to me and said that she had to tell my father if I couldn't. I protested, and I'll never forget what she said. She said that she was happy that I felt like I could confide in her, that I could come to her when I was scared or unsure what to do. But then she said that what she did when she was scared or unsure what do was to talk to her husband and I had to let her do that, because while this thing wasn't happening to her in the same way it was happening to me, it was happening in her life too and I had to let her deal with it the way she dealt with challenging things in her life. I agreed and we told him.

Could your mother have handled it better? Sure. She probably should have come to you and asked your permission. But be honest with yourself--is there any way you would have given it? Is there any way she would have thought you would give it? Yeah, she could have handled it better. If there aren't three times in a day where I could have handled something better I didn't do a lot that day. She could have handled it a lot worse. To be honest it boggles my mind that she made it a whole year.

Look, obviously you feel whatever you feel, but if it bothers you that there is this new distance between you and your mother all you can do is suck it up, try to see it from her perspective and try to bridge the gap. Take it from someone who has lost both their parents within the last three years. If you have a parent that you think you might like to have a closer relationship with, don't waste any time.

11. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

#11 Blue787Bunny, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015