1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Human Contact

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DAXIII, Aug 15, 2015.

1. DAXIII

I hear talk about the importance of having human contact, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I prefer the company of animals more. They're soft, furry, happy to see you, and don't judge or ridicule you in any way shape or form. They are the beings in this word that I trust the most and they aren't afraid to show affection.

But with humans it's just a briar patch of issues to navigate and you can't always tell how often they are serious or kidding. Deception I guess is the word, but animals know nothing of that. They hurt you intentionally and not always in self defense. Plus they're wanting for things. Why would human contact be so important if humans are so destructive? I mean just look at the state of the planet and our own for that matter.

I just don't understand why people recommend I should embrace human contact and how it's important when so far it has caused me the worst pain ever.

2. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Humans have indeed lost a lot of their innocence long ago, and this corruption runs pretty deep. But that doesn't mean there isn't light in humans.

I think human connection is good because it's easier to understand "I'm not entirely sure about whether or not it's advisable to buy this big box of chocolate" than "woof". It's about... being able to have more specific conversation, so to say.

I don't know if that helps at all, just wanted my throw my coin in. If these thoughts are bothering you, it's good to vent.

all the best

3. DAXIII

I've just grown to have a dislike, almost hatred for humans. I can't trust them as much as animals. They've been there, they don't judge you for anything. They're just there. I have more love for animals than humans, whom I tend to regard as a means to an end.

4. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

Man...I can relate. But for me, animals don't have much like on me so...

I'm an introverted person. I like being alone. I think small handful of people that I've known are worth being around. I think even the most social people can hate most people they meet.

People love each other and hate each other the same time. Human relations are so, so complicated.

But i think there's at least one person that shows up in your life that make the world a more livable place to live. It could be someone you've never met, or someone you already know. Maybe you'll find someone who's really worth of your time one day. As the person above me said, it is easier in a way to converse in human language.
    Just do whatever makes you happy.

#4 ModernCat, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2015
  5. HunGuy

HunGuy Guest

I get it completely. Most people annoy me or I see their words and actions as petty or nonsense, or even hostile. Much of this comes from my INTJ personality, and another great part from my insecurities. And it seems to be the worst when I have depression.

But actually, I feel good when I keep human contact to a minimum. Animals have simple needs and are easier to deal with. Every once in a while I feel the need to talk to someone, but then I tend to disappear for weeks, or even months. When I'm alone, I can be myself, I don't have to act like someone I'm not.

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    To a certain extant I can understand how you feel. As a whole I seem to function better when I'm alone. Once in a while I do need human contact though :slight_smile:

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I can totally relate to what you're saying and how you're feeling.

I also prefer being around animals than around humans. Animals do not gossip about you, they don't judge you for being x,y,z and they love unconditionally and are loyal. They are upfront about their feelings and they understand when you're being quiet. They don't care if you're a couch potato, overweight, or look like shit when you wake up in the morning.

With all that said, I have to add that I do require human contact from time to time. I prefer to be by myself, but still have people nearby the odd times I actually want to have a conversation with someone. I am a self-diagnosed socially anxious person, who immediately thinks up a million excuses when I get invited to a social gathering. It's different with family though but even then, I'm not always in the mood for a lot of people around me. The times I actually attend social events, I feel awkward the entire time. I can't relax and I crawl deeper into my shell and fear the times that the spotlight is on me. There are a few other instances that also makes me believe I have at least a mild form of social anxiety. And that together with my introversion greatly affects my social life. I can't even walk down the street by myself without feeling anxious about people possibly seeing me and judging me...

So yeah, animals all the way. There's just this relaxed atmosphere with animals around

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand how you feel. I've been betrayed by people lots of times. Sometimes, even my own family denigrates me and makes me feel like shit.

Animals never do that. They somehow sense when you don't feel well and try to make you feel better. I feel sad that I don't have any animals anymore.

I do need human contact, though, but I carefully check with who I'm having it. Some friends will never judge you while some others are really backstabbers in disguise.

9. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Basically this, there's still plenty of good people out there. :slight_smile:

10. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not going to deny that having good contact with animals is awesome. An animal unconditionally loving you and being there for you (and vice versa) can be an awesome enrichment to your life.

..but on the other hand, humans can offer things animals cannot. A human can challenge you on an intellectual level. A human can offer you insights on your life you otherwise never could have had. Another human can help you crack tough problems. And yes, another human can love you on a whole other level than an animal can.

But... it's risky. With great reward comes great risk. Everytime I make a friend, I have to face the fact that this person can now hurt me. When I decided to get into a relationship, I consciously said to myself: "So, he can now hurt me more than anyone ever could? Is it worth it?"
    And, in my experience, it is.
    When you hit success, all of the previous hurt seems only a distant memory.

11. DAXIII

In my experience this is false.

The rewards you speak of pales compared to the pain of being hurt by people. In fact all people know how to do is destroy. It's only now that we are making up for it.

As for challenging you, you can do that yourself with the right mindset, some of the greatest thinkers were often found in seclusion from the world. Meditation is a solitary activity that offers far more insight than another human can give to you.

But humans cannot love on the same level as animals can, not even close. They cannot do it without judgment or pretense. A animals will not Judge you based on the imagined constructs we have created, it cares solely on your actions.

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, my experiences are not yours. So it's always hard to compare experiences with hurt or happyness.

But... you asked a question, and I can only answer that for me, it has proven worth it.

Despite being patently unable to read human body language (seriously, if I want to have a deep conversation with a friend, I often do so by letter or chat), and generally being disgusted by physical contact (I'm still manifstly amazed I let a friend hug me goodnight, two weeks ago), the few good friends I have made have proven to be completely unconditionally loyal. All it took was allowing myself and them to show our vulnerable side.

For me it's also not about not being able to live without humans. I know I can do that!
    But on the other hand: no amount of meditation can entirely make me conscious of my own preconceptions and prejudices like my best friend can in half an hour. Some of these great thinkers thought up great philosophies... which then totally failed to apply to the world as it is.

And as much as I like my cat purring in my lap when I'm sad, to me it's not the same as telling a friend and just seeing true understanding there. My cat loves me only based on my actions, true. But occasionally I wonder if it loves me for who I truly am like my friends do, or if it would have loved any other human it ended up with just as much.

Finally: humanity has a destructive side, through (then again, many animal species would definitely be as disruptive if they had more power or greater numbers). But we're not talking about befriending humanity as a whole here. Just a few chosen special ones.

I guess the most important thing to ask is: what was this hurt that is now troubling you so? How did it come about? And what WOULD you want out of the ideal human friend?

13. DAXIII

I've been used, hurt, and judged for just about everything that makes me me. So I don't trust people at all, even when they say there would be there for me. It has been years of abuse as a kid. So I've learned that I can only trust animals, who have always been there for me, nonjudgmental and accepting