1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating Tips and warnings?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Andstillimhere7, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Andstillimhere7

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I am wondering about tips on first date and stuff. There's this guy who I had a crushed on for 5 months and I'm wanna ask him out. I am wondering about dating tips and things I should be careful.

I am planning to ask him out for coffee after marching band camp, but the thing is that we'll both be sweaty. Is it bad if I do that for a first date or is it okay? Should I wait for a better time?

What kind of conversations starters can ask, any ideas?

2. Lyana

Hi,

Okay, my best and first dating tip: don't overthink it. Really. A date is made less enjoyable if you're nervous. If you overplan and a single thing doesn't go according to plan, like it starts raining, you could end up stressed out over nothing. So. Realize that the point of a date is to enjoy a good time with someone else, and allow yourself to have that.

Along the same lines, don't plan out your conversation ahead of time. That won't work, for obvious reasons. But it is a good idea to have a couple topics to fall back on, especially if you're not very extroverted. And discussing the weather for more than 5 seconds will make you both feel awkward, so here are a couple tips:

- Listen. Genuinely listen to everything he says, and when you can, ask a question. I don't mean be rude or nosy, but if he's telling you a story and John comes up, you can say, "So, John is your friend? How long have you two known each other?" If he's talking about how bland his coffee is, you can ask, "What's your favorite coffee place in town, then? Maybe we can go there afterwards." Things like that that show you're listening and encourage him to talk more, which will mean less awkward silences.

- Talk about things you like. If you talk about things you're passionate about, you just can't fail to be interesting. It could be a book you just finished reading, a class that's suddenly gotten very interesting, or your favorite beer. Anything, really.

- "How was your day?" -- Yes, this is a legitimate thing to discuss on a first date. I promise.

Moving on -- coffee is an excellent idea for a first date. Just having a cup is short enough that if one of you isn't feeling it, the date will end quickly enough without being awkward. But if you're both feeling it, you can easily extend it to something else -- a walk, a movie, a snack.
    About the timing (after marching band camp), well, you think about it. Would you like to go on a date right after that? If so, then hey, go ahead. If you're still unsure, just ask him if he'd like to grab a coffee with you -- and if he hesitates, either tell him you two can go another day, or laugh it off and say you'll both look awesome, all sweaty and tired at the coffee shop.