1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to deal with homophobes?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by molsen7961, Aug 18, 2015.

1. molsen7961

When I see people online (twitter, youtube comments, etc.) being uneducated about LGBT issues, being homo/transphobic, or otherwise insulting to the LGBT community, I generally take it upon myself to educate them...don't worry, I do it in a polite manner. But should I be doing this? Should I just respect their opinion, as long as they're not directly insulting me or doing it in a vulgar manner (e.g. "faggot," "sissy," etc.)? And what about in real life situations?

The reason I'm asking is because my therapist says that I need to learn to respect my parents opinion about me (pretending I never said anything, disapproval), but my whole theory up until this point is that I'll respect your opinion unless it's derogatory to a person or their lifestyle. Otherwise, I'll speak up. Have I been thinking about it in the wrong way?

2. YinYang

I definitely think what you are doing is a good thing. In my opinion, more people should be educated more about the lgbtqa+ community. I wish I was less shy in public so that I could correct misconceptions that people so blindly believe. I don't think what you are doing is bad at all.

3. DAXIII

Well it helps to not talk to a brick wall sometimes. The problem with education is usually whoever gets to the person first. Then there's confirmation bias as well which makes convincing them even more difficult. Personally I don't think it's worth the effort and it's just something we have to deal with.

4. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd try to politely explain to them stuff they don't get, for example my friend had been misgendering Caitlyn Jenner, calling her Bruce, so I gently told her about pronouns and how trans is proven to not be a choice... She continued to misgender her. My point being, you can try all you'd like to educate, but you just can't get through some people. Definitely make the effort, though.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If someone is actually confused or incorrect, try to educate them. If they're just being rude, you should probably just ignore them because they're not going to change their mind. Just look the other way.

6. DeadheadPride

If they insult me directly, I have a plan. So until I'm 18, every day I draw an equal sign on my middle finger, in pen, and I plan to get a tattoo there when I've old enough. Whenever someone is homophobic, I show them my tattoo. :eusa_danc

7. MetalRice

I ignore them; no point dealing with idiots.

8. Wantsuki12

Wantsuki12 Guest

Respect them. Just because they dont share your same views doesn't mean they are uneducated. They may be just as informed on the subject than most people, even you. Just because they disagree doesnt make them idiots or homophobic. I think gay people take offense so easily and are really sensitive to any type of viewpoint that is different than theirs, and if you don't agree with their lifestyle, then they automatically become agressive and defensive. Don't just preach tolerance, be tolerant.

9. MetalRice

Are you serious mate? wow.....

10. Wantsuki12

Wantsuki12 Guest

What?

11. guitar

To the original poster, you DON'T need to respect your parents opinion. Their opinion isn't worthy of respect. You need to tolerate them and trying to keep things civil within the famiky is nice, but you don't need to give any acceptance to an opinion which does not fully accept LGBT people.

12. Wantsuki12

Wantsuki12 Guest

Just like people dont need to respect the opinion of the gay community. If their opinion isnt worthy of respect, than neither is yours. They will tolerate gays, but tat doesnt mean they need to accept the gay agenda

13. NameDoe

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thing is, there will always be a measure of intolerance, name calling, labeling, bigotry etc. Always. If I'm having a bad day I'll go to a republican forum and blow off steam haha... just kidding there :slight_smile: But, you know that is what some people do.

Agree to disagree sure, as long as it relates to different opinions. But if someone starts to treat me differently rather than just stating thier opinion, then we have a problem...and it won't be my problem because I will lay down boundaries real quick.

You know, it is infuriating what some people have said and done to those in the community. I still read posts about relating beastiality, incest, pedophilia with gay marriage and I think, 'Ok Stupid' lol -Pitching the gay communinty as preying on the most vulnerability really did work twenty years ago, not today. No sane, rational person can equate adult, concensual relationships with preying on the vulnerable or weak. This stuff isn't easy to swallow. But, there are many more people who are rational and respectful, even if they do disagree. For me, my sexuality is not up for discussion or argument to the masses. My sexuality is not for someone elses approval even (wish I knew that early on). You seem like you want to really help educate people o the subject and that is great! But again in respecting differences, they may not want your opinion on it and that is ok too. It works both ways.

In the spirit of opinions, you can take mine or leave it hehe :slight_smile:

#13 NameDoe, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  14. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    We are actually in pretty much the same situation in regards to family matters. We are Christians who come from a conservative party of the country. My parents and to an extent us children were raised to be conservative and to be hardliner Christians as well. It goes hand-to-hand that with that type of belief and upbringing my family is quite homophobic. That is except when it comes to me. I have never had a "Mom/Dad I am gay!" moment. But when I started dating guys my parents somehow got wind of it, talked amongst themselves. My mom was the one who came to me and said in gist that they would love me the same any other way. They have been pretty tolerant of my lifestyle and to a large extent supportive. But the fact that they love me and support me doesn't stop them from being homophobic when it comes to others.

When they say stuff regarding LGBT, one of their favorites is that LGBT or gay people are ne'er-do-wells. I usually ignore it. I understand that they are a product of a different generation who didn't grow up understanding the truths about homosexuality. I can argue all I want but it isn't going to change their mindset which has been molded from years and years or decades of having been fed the same mantra. Having been brought up as religious hardliners, yes they believe that being LGBT is a sin. We must understand that they believe that what the religious leader (priest/minister/pastor) has preached is the truth. Let's just say they use Sodom and Gomorrah as a reference. I learn to pick my fights. I usually ignore homophobic comments that is until it is a personal attack on myself. Although when they do tend to get exaggerated with what they are saying I do say a line or two to get them to tone down their views. I usually reference someone famous and say "Oh so you mean Ellen/Tim Cook are ne'er-do-wells?". I think it all boils down to "they were born in a different time and place (in social norm and history)" and "we ourselves were born in a different time and place (in social norm and history)."

I tend to respect peoples views which may differ from my own. After all lack of tolerance is the root of bigotry. If I start criticizing them, trowing slanders or falsehoods on their religion and telling them what to believe it doesn't make me different from any other bigot out there.

On another note the last conversation we had regarding LGBT was about Bruce/Caitlyn. It went well and no homophobic language or comments were used. They just wanted to know how the family was taking it. So I guess they are softening up a bit.

#14 Blue787Bunny, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015