1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pretty sure my cousin is gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by choirsmash, Aug 18, 2015.

1. choirsmash

Okay so I have this cousin that I've recently gotten closer with. We figured out that we like a lot of the same things, but we live pretty far away from each other. Anyway, I'm almost positive he's gay. Whenever I see him, my gaydar goes off and it hasn't been wrong yet. He's only going to be a sophomore in high school, so I don't know if he'll come out soon or not. Maybe he isn't, I don't know. I don't really want him to be, because it will mean ridicule and bullying for him and I don't want to see him go through that shit. If he does come out as gay, how can I help him? I know this questions is so weird coming from someone in the LGBT community, but I feel like I could end up being a mentor or gay spirit guide for him and I need a Gay Spirit Guiding for Dummies book or something. Even if he ends up straight, I just want to be prepared just in case. Thanks in advance

2. Joshuacpr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Why do you think he's gay? What triggers your gaydar?

3. DAXIII

I've very doubtful about gaydar since the accuracy of "it" is about 60%, which is still plenty of room for error. What exactly makes you think he's gay?

4. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, if that's the statistical accuracy in general than mine is really astonishing. I'm 44 and I can only really think of a couple times mine was wrong.:lol:

As to the original post I would think all you can really do is make sure that he knows it would be safe to tell you. I think that's what people need most at the beginning.

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gay spirit guiding for dummies. :lol: :roflmao: Lol I like it. :thumbsup:

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Idk about you but my gay dar has never failed on me.

Ya know I always wonder this about my cousins because I could see a few of them being lgbt but some are still too young and others could just be stubborn or closeted.

7. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be out and be confident. Hopefully he'll come to you if the time comes. If you want to steer the conversation that way, you can ask if there are any out kids at his school or how LGBT friendly his school is, but don't go any further than that. The last thing you want to do is put him on the spot, whether he is gay or not.

8. Foz

Foz Guest

I'm in the same boat with my little cousin, he just sets my gaydar off big time! He posted a link which contained fanfic unpostable on here last week so it's pretty much confirmed!

9. DAXIII

Out of how many people? I'm willing the bet that if it were actually put to the test it would not be a reliable as you think it is.

I also find the concept of gaydar to be stupid, as if you think you know the person better than they know themselves. What if they are bi or fluid? What then?

I would say just leave it alone, it does not really matter whether he is or is not.

#9 DAXIII, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015