1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT Club at school?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by 3n, Aug 19, 2015.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Im thinking about joining the LGBT club at school, but i have some questions. What are some of the benefits of joining, and will people suspect im gay if i join?

2. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No doubt they will think something of it but power in numbers man stick together it will all be alright. Tell them of your problems and they will help, not all people are homophobic especially in a lgbt group. I think you should join!

3. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks, and i wasnt talking about the people in the club thinking im gay, i was talking about my friends.

4. RainOnVII

Hello 3n :slight_smile:

Joining an LGBT club is a good opportunity to meet people that don't really mind what your gender is, or your orientation. Other than meeting awesome people, LGBT clubs often show up at events like pride parades and protests (though that may not happen very often now--go, equal marriage!); they'll probably include non-LGBT activities like video games and movies.

LGBT clubs are not LGBT-exclusive. Allies often join LGBT groups to support friends, family, or just to support in general. People might suspect, but will probably not suspect you specifically--you could claim that you support the LGBT community, and leave it at that. No one can make you say anything you don't want to say.

In my opinion, joining an LGBT group is a great idea--and ditto, Gamer4now. To me, an LGBT club is like any other club out there--a place where people with common interests/identity hang out, make friends, and do things, like Anime club or the American Honors Society.

I hope this helps!

5. DeadheadPride

I, personally think an LGBT club would be great. My experiences are that they're pretty much like this forum, but in real life. The people there will be supportive, and if you want to, you can try to hide it from your friends and family if you're not out. Plus, you can always say "I'm just supporting the community."

6. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in the GSA at my school, and it's a lot of fun. We watch movies with gay themes, discuss current LGBT+ issues, and all of us get club t-shirts and rainbow bracelets. It's really nice because we're all like a family. :slight_smile: It's like EC, but with only high school students. Pretty cool!

About half the people in our club are allies and not LGBT+ themselves, so I don't think people will suspect you're gay if you join, unless people you know are majorly paranoid. It's normal to have allies in LGBT+ clubs.