1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting on the Gaydar?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DeadheadPride, Aug 19, 2015.

1. DeadheadPride

Hey guys! So recently I've been getting a lot of "But you don't seem gay?" responses when I come out, and it's already been hard finding anyone to connect with on a romantic level. I guess I really want to be more picked up on the "Gaydar", if you want to call it that, but I don't want the only thing people know about me is that I'm queer. I think this sounds stupid, but I guess this is a somewhat anonymous place to discuss this, so yeah!

2. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Hmm... Buy a rainbow necklace or bracelet and wear it while you're in public. If your school has a GSA (Gay straight alliance) show up to it or go to an LGBT meetup if you can't go to a GSA.

3. Sue Baloo

What Hunter said. I myself have a few pieces of pride jewelry, as well as rainbow shoelaces for my tennis shoes. You don't have to wear it all at once, but hopefully it makes it more clear to others that we are on team rainbow.

Good luck. :wink:

4. Oh Lilac

And definitely look people in the eye (not too intensely, of course)... Show confidence if you are interested in someone. They will get the idea. As for the "You don't look gay" comments, people just assume I am a straight girl, too, so I get it. They need to be a bit more open-minded and not make assumptions based on appearance. Not everyone who is gay "looks gay."

5. jonjon

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel ya. I've been pondering all this too. The "wear a rainbow accessory" seems like good suggestion. I've been working on keeping some eye contact going when you see somethin good :slight_smile:P) It's hard being an introvert though. I'd like to note, that too many girls have shown interest in me and are totally surprised when I tell them I'm gay. Maybe they're being polite? And a lot of straight guys eventually assume I'm gay after knowing me for a bit. The lack of dating girls and conversations about vagagay I suppose. I haven't met enough gay guys to know if I *bleep* on their gaydar. *sigh*