1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you cheer yourself up?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by rudysteiner, Aug 21, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

I've been feeling quite down the past few days needlessly running over coming out scenarios and wondering what'd happen if I went downstairs now and just spilled the beans to my Mum, even though I know I'm not ready to come out yet. On top of that, too, one or two of my family members have exhibited homophobic behaviour over the past few days and I can't help but feel like they already know and are subtly digging at me, and it's killing me that I can't stand up and tell them to shut up and that it's not right. If I do that they'll get suspicious. Apparently, in our house, you can't support a specific group without being labelled a part of it. If I decide to defend a Muslim when they're being racist at home, it's assumed I'm converting to Islam, but of course that's the worst thing you could ever do, and if I defend someone gay on the TV I'd be given the death stare and then proceed to go beetroot red, and then WHAM, I'm automatically called the first derogatory homosexual term you can think of. The worst part of that, as well, is that it's all inside my head. I could be welcomed with open arms once I tell them, but I'm still terrified.

Does anyone else feel like this?

What do you do to cheer yourself up?

2. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I listen to A LOT of music, especially peppy-type songs. It distracts me temporarily, and sometimes pushes away the depression. Also, I'm sorry all that is happening to you. :frowning2:

3. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, my parents are just like that. You shouldn't (fully) come out before you're on your own. When music doesn't help I just lay day-dreaming about the future, that makes me less miserable.

4. MetalRice

I distract myself from the dysphoria and depression by watching stupid YouTube videos, listening to music, doing historical research or things along those lines; sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't.

5. BrokenRecord

BrokenRecord Guest

I usually like to spend time doing things like listening to inspiring music, spending time with my doll that I'm in love with, playing games, and talking to people when I'm in a blue mood that's manageable, unlike the depression I'm feeling as of writing this, which is a bit too much to handle for me right now.

6. rudysteiner

I know I should wait until I'm at university at the earliest, and that's when I will do it, but I'm not going to university until I'm 20, and it's going to be three years till I'm there, and then possibly even longer. It's hard not to scream it from the rooftops when you're proud of who you are but can't share it with the people you love.

When I'm sad, my go-to thing to do is to read, and now I can't do that. I don't know what else I can do. I can't concentrate on anything, I can hardly bare typing this. So it's not like I can attempt the inverse of what I usually do and begin writing.

I wonder what life'll be like in 100 years when the more pro-homophobic generations along with us are no longer around.

7. MetalRice

It'll certainly be an interesting time, and alot better for the people like us that exist then.

8. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hopefully it is, especially now that more people are likely to raise their kids to be kind and accepting. :icon_bigg

9. MetalRice

Yeah, definitely, I think in 50 years time we'll see the situation has become more intolerant of people being openly bigoted against the LGBT, so it'll be alot like racism, less in overall nature, less open; and less prevelant.

10. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think that's a valid belief. However, there are still many massacres in the name of racism, and I presume the same will happen for LGBT folk, sadly. :frowning2:

11. rudysteiner

12. robclem21

I go to the gym. There is rarely rarely a time when I leave the gym without feeling refreshed, reenergized and pumped full of endorphins. It clears my head and lets me think about any issue really clearly. The combination of aggression, music, and emptiness in the mind is so therapeutic.

13. HopefulRebecca

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is the funniest thing ever, thank you so much.

14. rudysteiner

I started drawing again today (well colouring in for now so I can become fluent with my hands again), and I'll admit I'm feeling a little better. I do go to the gym too, but haven't been over the Summer and I'm unfreezing my membership on the 1st so will get back into the swing of things with that, I usually go at least 4 times a week.

15. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Guest

Playing guitar, watching something that will distract me, & playing video games.

16. TigerInATophat

Out Status:
    Some people
    Like others have said music helps, or drawing or making stuff.

But generally, anything that keeps you occupied so there's less opportunity to think (ie dwell) about things is helpful.

Also, it's good, though difficult to do, to get into the habit of reminding yourself: "this will pass". Be it referring to the way you are feeling or a currently bad situation that you are stuck in. Once you get the hang of doing that, it not only becomes easier to remember the next time you're feeling down but also can spark the process of figuring out ways around various problems, as opposed to just going over them again and again with no solutions.

Oh, and this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZXttD0_Wt8

#16 TigerInATophat, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  17. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

Walking/jogging/running or sleeping/resting/relaxing work for me. Showering, funnily enough, can also cheer me up because, come on, I'm taking care of myself and feeling so clean. Certain bathing scents also help me feel calmer, even more feminine.

Meditate on why I'm not feeling more positive, and honestly tackle it. If I can resolve the problem, it makes sense that it will go away and allow me to feel better.

Nostalgic things can also help, but this can also be a double-edged sword. Some folks get sad thinking about the past. But in the responsible way, this can be helpful.

Funny-anything. Movies, music, comics, books, television programs, people, whatever can provide humor, is a good remedy.

Finally, encouraging another. No, seriously, go leave a random compliment on somebody's Wall or, even better, tell somebody in person, "Hey, I just wanted to say, you're so fucking cool!" and with a hug is the best. Everybody feels better.

#17 Kaiser, Aug 22, 2015
  18. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Consuming satire in any form. That's my favorite kind of humor. I firmly believe that binge-watching Veep or Silicon Valley can be a cathartic experience that will get anyone out of any hole they may have dug themselves in (no matter how deep). Similarly, I would recommend checking out The Onion and Clickhole. If none of that leaves you with at least a smile on your face, I think we may have been wrong about the original problem all along and you may want to seek the assistance of an exorcist.

Going out with friends (or inviting them in) will also do the trick. Overall, surrounding yourself with people that are in a better mood than you tends to have the unintentional effect of rubbing off on you, so long as you don't try to choke the fun out of the situation dwelling on your gloom (because that can rub off too).

#18 RawringSnake, Aug 22, 2015
  19. YuriBunny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Playing with my dog. ^^

20. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    all the above suggestions are good

but perhaps also adopt a longer term plan that will help you get through the next few years while you are living at home.

you say you are not ready to come out yet

maybe resolve to put up with/ sideline the homophobic comments
    but have a bigger life plan for when you move out and are standing on your own two feet - that will make these short term problems more bearable