1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Co-Dependence?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Shadymist, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Shadymist

I have this problem where when I'm alone I start feeling lethargic, unmotivated, and depressed. I'm not alone for long periods of time hardly ever anymore, because I started working more, but since I've been off several days now, I remembered how lethargic I used to get. I noticed that as soon as someone comes home, I perk up and feel like the life is coming back into me. The time when I first remember beginning to experience this was when I was about 14 or 15, and my parents worked a lot, so I had too much alone time. It's been years since then, but this is still affecting me in my adult life. Basic daily tasks often feel difficult to do alone, like making meals, doing laundry, getting ready for bed, or cleaning the house. If someone is over or on the phone with me though, I feel this sudden energy and start cleaning and getting things done. I just wish I could do this when I'm alone without internally forcing myself to get it done much of the time. It leaves me feeling angry and frustrated.

Another real problem that has affected me for years is that I can't get myself to go to sleep unless everyone else in the house has wound down first. If someone else is up, I feel like I don't wanna miss a moment of what's happening or a chance to spend that little bit of extra time with them, even at the expense of getting adequate sleep. I feel anxiety over saying goodnight or goodbye and don't have much self-control to make myself go to bed. I have lost so much sleep over this, I can't even tell you.

I'm tired of feeling lethargic and depressed when I'm alone. I'd like to work through this and improve the situation. I'm wondering if this could be a co-dependence issue?

Please give me some honest feedback about you guys' experience and some advice on what could be going on with me and how I can deal with it. I wanna take back control of my life.

Thank you