1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to start college tommorow! :(

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, Aug 23, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am a very anxious person and I would say I'm doing better than usual with this, but I am still worried that I may have a panic attack later or tommorow. I'm worried about not getting to my classes on time because I only have 10-15 minutes in between each one. The buildings are pretty close to eachother but I timed myself walking and I barely made it in ten minutes, and that wasn't even counting going down the stairs. Being late is my worst fear and I used to cry whenever I was late in high school. My sister said I can make it but I am still worried. I am also worried that we will have to go around and introduce ourselves or something like that. I don't think you do that in college but I am still worried about it. help please : /

2. Lindsey23

It's ok, try to relax. This isn't high school. You'll probably be on time and if you aren't just go to your teacher after class and explain how far you had to walk. Most teachers understand. You won't get in trouble if you're late. Keep in mind too that most people are nervous on the first day of school. It isn't just you. Take a deep breath and you'll be fine.

3. Gen

Gen

Everyone is trekking across campus in between class times. It is not going to be a situation where you walk in and everyone turns in your direction. You are simply going to be blending into the mob.

Whether or not there will be ice breakers depends on the professor, but you certainly won't be the only nervous Freshman. Not to mention, the thing about university is that you will never be surrounding by people that you know regardless of what year you are. You get used to introducing yourself and speaking to people randomly. Remind yourself that meeting new people can be awkward in general and feeling anxious when speaking in front of a new crowd is only natural.

4. Gravity

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Echoing everything that's been said so far - you won't be the only one, not by a long shot! :slight_smile: Actually if you're already walking the trips between classes, you may be ahead of the game...people could be asking *you* for directions.

Just remember that college is built to let you do well if you want to work at it. There are lots of places you can go for help - your professors themselves, tutors, counselors (which are usually free on campus for students), and even more than that at some schools. You are definitely not all on your own, even if it feels that way.

Feel free to PM if you want to talk more - college, or the idea of college, can be tough but I'm happy to listen anytime.

5. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for all the replies! I feel better but I am still a little nervous, which is to be expected. I texted my orientation leader and asked if 10 minutes is enough time and she said it was. I'm hoping I won't be late to any class tommorow. I have another question. I emailed the GSA club and asked if they could add me to their email list because I couldn't sign up when I went to orientation. They never replied and I feel like it could be good for me. I didn't go to pride because it made me nervous and I feel like I could use some LGBTQ+ friends because I only have one and I don't see him very often. I don't think there's that many people in the club, so maybe that's why they didn't reply. Should I try to email them again? or wait?

6. Really

If classes are just starting tomorrow, I would even give them a week or so to reply. It's probably run by students who are, themselves, getting settled for the new semester. If they don't reply, I wouldn't read anything special into it. Just go to a meeting and sign up in person.
    I don't know what you're studying but 1st year courses are usually huge and you most likely won't even be noticed if you're late.