1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing It Straight?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by DeadheadPride, Aug 23, 2015.

1. DeadheadPride

Just out of curiosity, how many of you guys "played it straight" at any point of your life? Like toned down your fabulous-ness, weather your weren't out yet, or whatever, did you guys ever do this too? If so, how/what did you do?

2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    For years I'd stayed out of conversations my guy friends were having about females being hot or not. I felt like if I spoke up I'd accidentally out myself, even if my other female friends were chipping into the conversation.

Sometimes I do still pretend to be straight and talk about future husbands with friends, sometimes I'll talk about attractive male celebrities.

3. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, and I hate(d) myself for doing it. Lately I'd just claim I'm straight and act natural (totally not straight).

#3 andimon, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Done it all my life but acting straight is just how I am. I'm not much into the scene and I absolutely hate shopping and going to malls. I don't care for fancy clothing at all, I'm always in a plain T-shirt with sweatpants working on cars or watching the game with friends. lol

With that said, I often ask myself... What is playing it straight? We are who we are and we're all different. :slight_smile:

5. peachygogh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm still playing it straight, but I'm subtly hinting at things.

6. Aviator182

I've been " playing in straight" all of my life, although that's just my general personality. Even though I am not open yet, I don't find the so called typical gay scene to be something that would interest me. Just because I am gay does not mean that I like the "feminine" things. It's all good if you do, just not my personality. It takes all kinds of people to make the world go round and just because someone might not act how you do does not mean that you are wrong or they are wrong. Everyone is different. Whatever your personality is be that person. :slight_smile:

7. WearyWanderer

Pretty much, yeah. Still am, to a very large extent.

8. Riyuzaki

Riyuzaki Guest

I never stopped. And I don't feel uncomfortable while doing it. Which makes me think: am I acting straight or am I a straight-like gay guy? :rolle:

9. gibson234

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you mean femininity. I haven't got much so I never have to act to "play straight". I think the issue of feminine guys is seperate from gay guys. There are straight feminine guys and masculine gay guys. I think it feeds the stereotypes to confuse the two.

10. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to try and avoid certain mannerisms such as trying not to put my hand in my pockets (I got caught doing this by someone and they seemed to give me an almost knowing look but I think that was just me being paranoid) and trying to speak in a higher pitched voice which was awkward because sometimes my voice would break (which was embarrassing for me since I'm a girl and it would confuse some people, including me at the time). It felt like whenever I wanted my voice to go high it would go low and whenever I wanted it to go low it would go high. :lol:

I soon gave up though and clearly it hadn't been effective as I walked into a room once for class and had to sit next to someone and one of their first questions was "do you have a girlfriend?" and "Are you gay?" even though we didn't know each other very well at the time. But at the end of the day they are just stereotypes.

I also used to pretend to like certain male celebrities to try and fit in with the others.

#10 Canterpiece, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  11. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You've nailed it, people mix mannerisms, stereotypes and sexuality together. It does get confusing!

12. DAXIII

What is "straight"?

13. chad1d1

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Same here. I've never put on an act, I play Madden...love football, love doing things with my hands. I just happen to like guys haha.

14. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

I could never pull it off anyway.. I mean besides my looks and personality being feminine I just never tried to act straight :lol: I never really cared to either.. My eyes were always on girls (though I didn't vocalise it much) so I kinda just friend zoned every guy that took interest in me.. Eventually people got the idea that I don't like guys I think haha.