1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm Going Into Highschool! Help!

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by YesHomo, Aug 24, 2015.

1. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm going into 9th grade in about a week. I don't know what to do or expect as a lesbian in highschool! Should i be open about my sexuality or keep it hidden? I was pretty open with it in middle school, but I don't know how highschoolers react to things like that. Help Is Needed Urgently! :tears:

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)
    Me too! Im starting high school on Thursday! I have no idea how high schoolers will react honestly...I plan to not officially come out, but if asked, I'll answer truthfully to most.
    I'm sorry I have no advice, but I'm going through the same thing. Good luck! :slight_smile:
    I'm gonna watch this thread for replies hehe~

3. lonelyjamie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I passed trough this situation this year, but in my case it was because I joined college. Well, unfortunately I didn't had an "out of closet experience" during high school, the first time I told someone that I'm gay was on my last semester of my last year in high school so only three people there knew that I'm gay.

Well, I suggest you to not worry so much about it, if people ask it and you feel safe then tell them the truth, you don't need to make it a super bowl show if you don't want to.

I don't know whether or not people where you live are open mind but maybe my answer can help you. (And I'm also going to watch this thread).

(Sorry for any English mistakes, I'm still learning)

Lots of love (*hug*),
    - lonelyjamie

4. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just finished my freshman year of High School, and even though I was not open about my sexuality, I noticed that EVERYONE, and I mean EVERYONE, was super open about it. Maybe it's just because where I'm from people tend to be very accepting, but if I were you I would maybe listen and see what the atmosphere around you is like in your school before coming out. If people seem to be very open and accepting about sexuality, go for it, and if they don't, I would maybe give them some time.

#4 Ameryllis, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  5. MidnightStar

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm out of school myself, but to be honest I never did one thing when in school and that was have friends or tell anyone about my questioning. I think it's important to let people know so you can know who to hang out with and who to not want to be around, sure some people won't accept you I can't say everyone will that'd be a big lie. But! I think the world has come around a long ways and I think you'll find more acceptance then hate.
    And maybe to start out join a LGBTQ+ group if you want to have friends like you or feel understood maybe they'll help you feel safe :slight_smile: that is if they have one if not start one :grin:

6. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the north-east is pretty liberal with their views. I live in Connecticut and several people at my middle school were out, still, make sure that people at your new school are generally accepting..then come out if you want to.
    Is there a GSA at your high school?

7. grungeteen

Well I can't fully relate to this because I live in the UK and our 'highschool' starts in 6th grade/ year 7 (but we have our 'junior and senior' year at a different school called sixth form, I know it probably seems confusing :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ) but I am the same age and going into 9th grade/ year 10. If I were you, I would be open about it and not give a f*** what others think and I'm pretty sure there will be other lgbt students too- but of course this is just what I'd do. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable and I guess it depends on your school with how accepting it is, my schools really pro-lgbt most of the time and it is a place that I feel comfortable in coming out in (im planning to come out at the beginning of the school year as bisexual) so it really depends- I assumed you would know the general idea on what the schools attitude is towards lesbians, gays, bisexuals etc.

Be proud of your sexuality and who you are :slight_smile:
    And just know that you arent alone and one day, in 20 years time, you'll be looking back at all of this and joking about it and stuff and wondering why you were ever so worried :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you moving to a different high school? Otherwise, your fellow middle school students will be your fellow high school students. (I went to a school that was basically the same 150 kids from kindergarten to graduation, so correct me if I'm off-base.)

It's impossible for me to say how high schoolers will react because, well, first off I haven't been one in over four years and it really depends on the school. Is there a GSA at your school? Do you know anyone that goes there already?

9. YesHomo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is no club at the school i'm going to. I live in the South so... it's a lot less... "Gay Friendly".