1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeing a closeted guy...are we making progress?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by 32814103013, Aug 24, 2015.

1. 32814103013

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So let's rewind the clock a bit...

I came out over two years ago. Roughly six months after that I found my first boyfriend whom I dated on and off for about a year and a half. When I mean on and off...I mean like month on...month off.
    (That's a mistake/life lesson for another email) but this is not about him....

I'm here to email you about my current straight guy (we'll call him John Doe) who I had a thing with for over a year now. A little background about John Doe. I was 23 when he first met and he was a 20 year old college student at the same university as me. He is his frat's president, (also voted as the "lady's man" by his frat brothers) and carries himself like a typical frat college student, drinking, partying, class (kinda, ended up on academic suspension) and all about being the "man" on campus. Always seems to be going through girlfriends since I've known him...and always seems not to have relationships w/ girls not last for whatever reason. He claims not to have had another sexual encounters with men other than me since we met. I somewhat believe that to be true by his constant busyness with girls.

How we met... during an off time with my ex boyfriend, I responded to this curious guy ad on Craigslist around Memorial Day. I admit I was in serious rebound moment and just wanted a NSA quick thing and that's when I met John. When we first talked, he described himself as "bisexual" and said he had done things with a few guys before. So, we ended up meeting up, it was great time, and both really clicked. Since I figured it would scare him, I wasn't exactly clear that I was out. However, he ended up finding out I was then and was cool with it.

I became in charge...the rest of that summer. John would always ask to meet up. I would decline most of the time since I would be back with my ex boyfriend and also was still hesistent to hang out with John because I just didn't take him seriously since he was closted and assumed he just wanted sex, and also at the time assumed was sleeping with half the city. I also didn't want to get sucked into a closet case because of the obvious side effects.

Anyways...once Fall semester started...I was officially done with my ex boyfriend and started taking up John on his invitations. This is when some sort of "relationship" first started and has been all over the place since then. At first, it was strictly about sex and we would meet up like every week. He was into trying different things and had no limits. Not gonna lie, that part was a lot of fun and I was way into it. He treated me well (behind closed doors of course) and I enjoyed it.

But then a problem started...I started to like him. Then the question became how do I switch this from a NSA thing to potential friendship or even relationship? Or is that even possible?

My friends sugguested "I push him" a little further to the gay side each time he wanted to meet up, to show him that it could be possible to be happy and being okay with his sexual identity.

In a way it was another "string" added to our relationship every time we met up, and that's what I started to do.
    - The first string I laid out for him was that he had to spend the night. No problem, he spent the night, we cuddled and kind of had a date night. He seemed comfortable and it was really cute.
    -The second string was that we had to grab a drink at a gay bar. Again, he was willing and we went. He seemed a tad uncomfortable being there, but still was nice company.
    - Third string, he had to meet my (straight guy friends from college) roomies, which he was a little uncomfortable at first, but still went well.
    -Fourth string, I had to go over to his place. That was kind of awkward. He snuck me in like Anne Frank and I could make no noise. I could tell he was very uncomfortable..... Since then things have been weird.....

From the days of strict NSA sex...to the fourth string request....the number of times we saw each other decreased...especially between each string I requested. It went from every week, to every other week, to every month, to two months. The tables have turned. He was in charge now.

During those breaks from seeing each other, I would message him and we would kind of talk through text, but not as substantive as before. I would not ask to meet up, I always waited for him too. He asked me not message over Facebook messenger since people might see on his phone. Eventually I sent him an email...expressing how I felt.
    No response to the email. No communication at all. Up until one day, he saw my car parked around campus and snapped a picture of my car saying "I found him :slight_smile:" We met up one last time few days after that, but John now is MIA once again.

ALSO This summer....he seems to always to be hanging out with a few other servers at the restaurant he works at, not really his frat guys. One of his coworkers is gay too and is like "Regina George" of the gay scene here. Apparently, Regina doesn't even know his closet side, which I can believe. But I'm starting to get really jealous not going to lie.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Normally, I could (and have) moved on from things with closet boys...I was one for four years almost. However, I can't get it out of my mind...

I cannot help wonder and like obsess what is going on here. What is going through his mind about us? Was there even an us? Did he feel how I did? Is he just lost and confused? Is it something I did? Why is he only concerned about our sex when start talking? Why is hanging out with Regina, but won't just hang out with me anymore?

I know what I got myself into...I get where he is coming from...but still cannot get this out of my mind. What I should do? Just cut all ties or wait it out ? I've tried dating other guys but I still feel for him and miss him.

Any ideas? Comments? Thoughts? About him, myself, us or what I should do? Anything would be nice.

Thank you for your time for anybody who made it through this long venting session. Even if no one reads this, it felt good to let it out :slight_smile:

2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    He seems like a jerk. But hey, that's just my opinion. You should find a more committed guy, I'd say.

3. guitar

I've been in a similar situation like what you speak of. I was sort of out and he wasn't out at all. It can be really difficult to make that work and have any kind of meaningful relationship. Sure they're into you when it's just the two of you, but if they can't be that into you around friends and other people, it's just not going work in the long-term unless they have a plan to eventually come out.

As for where you're at now, I'd say you're probably over as a "couple." This may be difficult to hear, and I don't mean anything rude by it, but you have to understand that people will do what people want to do. If he was really into you, he would still message you constantly. The fact that he isn't means he's moved on. He's into someone else now.

Let me put it this way: If I want to see Queensryche when they're in town, I will call 10 friends, harass them constantly and do everything I can get tickets and find people to go with me. That's what I want to do. It's no different with relationships. If someone wants to be with you, they will show it. They will act on it.

All I can really recommend is get back out there. The next little while will suck. It's difficult getting over guys you really like and feel a strong bond with. I've had it happen to me several times and it can take months. Years even. But going out and trying new relationships will be for the best until you find someone who really is into you.

4. IG88

I guess you can tell him how you feel about him, but also say that he can take his time on when he wants to be out about your relationship (if indeed he wants one). I wouldn't push him into being gay because he may be bi, but it would be nice if he was comfortable with who he is. But, I wouldn't get your hopes up.