1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going back to school genderqueer

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by castheking, Aug 26, 2015.

1. castheking

So, my junior year is starting soon, and I was homeschooled just for last year, so I haven't seen a lot of the kids in quite a while. Freshman year, when I was still in mainstream school, I was questioning. I had come out as simply a lesbian, so a lot of the kids still know me as such. (I do have closer friends I've kept in touch with, however, so they know otherwise.)

Now, however, I identify as transmaculine(?) and pansexual. I tend to not present as traditionally male (I am huge fan of makeup), but I'm confident enough in my gender identity that accidental misgendering doesn't bother me anymore. The school is generally open-minded and accepting, and as I said, I'm very confident, so I don't think I'll have much of a problem with the kids.

What I'm really concerned about is the teachers and my parents. One of my parents is aware that I don't particularly care about the gender binary, and probably vaguely suspecting that I may be somewhere under the trans* umbrella. Neither of my parents are cool with that kind of thing. They don't know that I go by a different name and pronouns, and they'd be furious if they found out. I would be way more comfortable if my teachers called me by my preferred name, but I'm terrified that it will get back to my parents. Even one of my friends could slip up in front of my parents. I don't want to live in fear of that, and I don't know what to do. It wouldn't be the end of the world, I suppose, since I could just barely pass 'Cas' off as a nickname without suspicion. But I'd honestly rather not have to deal with the anxiety that comes with the questioning.

TL;DR Parents don't know I go by a different name, and I'm scared that they'll find out from my teachers.

General advice for being genderqueer during school (particularly when your gender expression doesn't allow you to pass) would be greatly appreciated as well.