1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How can I got to a GSA Meeting Without Outing Myself to my Mom?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ilovesg, Aug 26, 2015.

1. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    So I joined the GSA at my college and I just got an email about a meeting. It is on a Tuesday though, and I don't have classes on Tuesday usually. My mom is the one who drives me and picks me up from school so if I wanted to go, I would have to ask her (or my dad) to take me. I don't know what I would tell her because I don't want to lie. My friends go to school on Tuesdays but they go in the morning and I think they have classes all day so they couldn't leave to get me. I guess I could go and tell her it's for a different club? I think I would feel bad about lying. Also, I am nervous about going to the meeting in general. I don't know anyone there and it makes me nervous that they might ask why I'm there. I went to my high school's GSA once and they asked me why I was there. I got nervous and lied. I don't want that to happen again. Should I even join?

Also, I got a human rights campaign sticker in the mail today and my mom saw it and it was embarrassing. I don't know what she thought but I thought I would just add that lol.

2. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I would lie if you aren't comfortable coming out yet or tell her that you are going to support a friend

#2 Serperior, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2015
  3. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I tell my parents I'm going to hang out with friends and technically its not a lie because I am hanging out with my friends. My friends just happen to be part of the GSA and we're hanging out.

4. Foz

Foz Guest

There's always the S in GSA, not everyone who goes is gay.

5. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I get saying that I am just an ally, but technically it's not even a GSA it's just a LGBT club. I don't know if my mom would buy it if I told her I want to go all the way to school even though I don't have classes that day just to be an ally. Especially since she would have to drive me. I feel like if in telling her that I'm in the club I might as well tell her why, you know? But I don't want to. lol It's hard to explain

6. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    What about taking a bus? or train? Some form of public transport? Is it too far to walk?

7. thepandaboss

Why not tell her you're volunteering on campus or something? Technically that wouldn't be a lie and you wouldn't necessarily have to be too specific.

8. Vashta Nerada

The ideal path would be getting there under your own steam, as said, so bus/walking (even a cab?). If that really isn't possible and you do have to lie remember that it's to avoid a lot of potential worse/awkward situations than your mom not knowing where you are for an afternoon

9. RainDreamer

Or, you know, tell her you are going there to use the library for researching on an assignment? Have a book you need to pick up/return? Study group? Meeting for group assignments? Lots of things a college student need to do out of class time, you know.

10. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Those are good ideas. Thank you! I do have a study group that is once a week so maybe I will tell her it's twice a week. I don't know if I am going to go every week because I am still nervous about going in the first place. Thank you for the ideas!! They helped a lot

11. Really

You could tell her you're going to check out some of the clubs/societies and if nothing appeals see if any of your classmates are around to make friends. That way you have a built in reason to go back every week or not - to check out clubs and/or meet friends.

As for being asked why you're there, you could always say, "Why are any of us here?" in jest, like some philosophical question. If pushed, you can continue in that vein and say, "To find the meaning of life." Hopefully, by then they'll realize you're not going to answer that question.