1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling alienated amongst my own people?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Linus, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, this might sound really weird. I'm not sure that I fit in with other gays/rainbows. I mean, I really want to, more than anything, but... Well. I know a lot of rainbows, and are friends with a lot. But that doesn't mean I fit in. I know my orientation; I know I am not straight. But I feel like most other Rainbows I know, even on this site, do not like me, or find me annoying. I guess I'm just wanting to fit in, and I'm wondering the best way to do that. Then again, this could just be my insecurities.

Why do more people who are like me... Make me feel more alone? I feel like I don't fit in anywhere, and I'm really confused. Advice would be appreciated.

2. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Calling people "rainbows" for starters is a bit offensive in my case. Its like calling us "unicorns, fairies, mermaids, etc". Saying that you don't fit in and that they don't like you and make you feel alone is a bit general. Can you site examples so we can help you.

#2 Blue787Bunny, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  3. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Yeah, it's too general. How do you define yourself and how that makes you see you're not fitting in?

4. DAXIII

I felt the same way, never truly a part of the gay community or people who were supposed to be like me. Eventually I just stopped giving a damn after I tried to change myself to fit their definition of "gay".

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Linus, you have only just joined EC and I see that you posted for the first time yesterday. Isn't it a bit early to assume that people on this site don't like you? Be fair! If you stick around and continue to make a positive contribution, people will warm to you, I'm sure. :slight_smile:

6. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

I'm sorry, I can see how saying that might be seen as offensive. I was using it as an umbrella term, you see, because in my situation, "LGBT", isn't unbrella enough. I was just trying to include everyone. If you have another unbrella term that would be better, please share.

---------- Post added 27th Aug 2015 at 03:10 PM ----------

A lot of you have good points. I know that it's quick to make assumptions, and I try not to, most of the time.

I feel like a puzzle piece out of place. If I sit down at the lunch table with several of my LGBTQPAGFGQBCwhatever friends(because rainbows is too offensive—Seriously, please give me another term to use!), They either ignore me, or look at me funny if I say something. And it is soon to say with this site, but I feel the same way in the fun and games section, when I'm talking with groups of people. Like I'm just this alien or something. It's not mean or anything. Everyone seems friendly enough. But once you start talking, they start doing the awkward "..." Thing or whatever. The equivilant of "you're weird" in electronic communication. They're probably not even realizing it; they just don't know what to think of me and my weird thoughts. :3 I dunno. Thanks for the advice.

7. AKTodd

After reading this thread, I went and skimmed through most of your posts that you've made since joining EC.

Skipping the ones in the Roleplaying thread (in which I'm not quite sure what is going on), nearly all of your posts have been responses to fairly open ended questions that other members have been asking. These sorts of questions primarily generate a lot of responses from some number of people and then sort of peter out. Once in a while the OP on such a thread may choose to respond to one or more posts or make a more general response to all of them. Once in a while, a conversation may be triggered, either between the OP and and one or more of the responders or between one or more responders whether the OP takes part or not. But that is probably the exception rather than the rule when measuring against all the threads and posts that are generated in any given period of time.

Basically, I'm not seeing any reactions in the posts you've made so far to indicate that anyone has any feelings about you one way or the other yet. As Patrick says, you haven't really been here long enough to make any kind of impression (positive or negative) on people yet.

Stick around, keep posting, and eventually circumstances are likely to lead to some kind of conversation or two-way/multi-sided discussion taking place.

My 2c worth,

Todd

8. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks to everyone for all the support and advice. :slight_smile: I'm sure I'll fit in somewhere; even if it's right at home in my own mind. At least I'll be myself. At least I have friends, even If I don't understand them, or they don't understand me. Maybe that's okay. Maybe I can just be me, and not care what people think. Maybe.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Actually, I think this is the beginning, middle and end.
    Let yourself focus on positive experiences instead of perceived (and likely skewed or illusory) negative ones! Like this hug, for example! (*hug*)