1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New "Umbrella" terminology?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Linus, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was recently told that referring to... This site's society, as "Rainbows" is considered offensive. While I myself have not felt this the case, I would like to respect other's preferences, and will try to refrain from using the word as reference.

I myself am both Pansexual and Genderfluid. The problem is, there's no "P" in LGBT, and the only "G", stands for "gay". Therefore, that acronym doesn't work as well for me as it does others. (plus there's all the other genders and sexualities left out.) I would like to include everyone in the... This, society; and therefore, am looking for a term to use to describe it. Please help me, because I don't want anyone to feel left out or offended. I need a good umbrella term to use!

2. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You could use "queer." Don't think it will offend as many people as "rainbows" does. Just a suggestion

3. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Well, I'm totally clued out as to why Rainbows is offensive. I think it's a wonderful symbol of us all being at different parts of the spectrum. I'm bi. You can call me a Rainbow any day all day.

Maybe it's a cultural thing?

4. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe if I just call it "colorful", it's better? Because apparently rainbows is just like saying "unicorns and butterflies" and the such. I don't know.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think I would be comfortable using "rainbows." Or being called "a rainbow." For one thing, my girlfriend isn't a fan of the pervasive use of rainbow things as LGBT support and I'm pretty sure she'd hate it being used as a term. I just don't think it sounds like something that would be taken seriously.

There are entire threads here about whether or not this is okay, because so many people have negative associations from it's use as a slur, but a lot of people also prefer it. I like it because it's all-inclusive and a lot easier to say than an extended version of the acronym.

Another option, especially for writing, is just LGBT+.

6. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Precisely. :thumbsup:

I personally take offense at being called a rainbow because it objectifies me (us as a people). I am no longer being referred to as a human but as an object, that is why I said it is akin to being called a unicorn, a fairy or a mermaid. Being called a rainbow makes it sound like we as a group are now objects of curiosity.

There are many other terms which are more appropriate such as LGBT+, LGBTQ+, LGBTQI+, etc. Queer has had some form of acceptance of recent years because they liken it to empowerment. Saying we now "own" the term which was once used as a derogatory term against us. However some of our forefathers who experienced the discrimination are still uncomfortable with its use.

You can search the threads to look into what acceptable term you are comfortable using.

7. YinYang

I like the term The Queer Community. It includes all sexualities without having to list them all. How about that?

8. MetalRice

I like the term "Gender and Sexual Minorities", it's neutral and doesn't emphasize any one group over the other.

9. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    See, there's nothing wrong with these. But I feel that even if you write "+", you're still just listing the main four. I need something fast and easy to say, while being completely inclusive and not objectifying anyone. It's harder than you'd think.

10. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I applaud you for trying to be as inclusive as possible Linus, I really do, but I think you are on a hiding to nothing in trying to find an umbrella term/acronym that will suit every member of our community. Some people will embrace the word "rainbows", while others will reject it, just like some people embrace "queer" while others reject it.

The real problem arises when you try to accommodate people who, for whatever reason, select very obscure and barely recognised labels for themselves. There was a thread in chit chat yesterday that referenced a small number of those labels. Unfortunately, these highly selective and often peculiar terms, that few people understand, are popping up so often that it's impossible to keep up. To include absolutely everyone, would require us to explore a new umbrella term/acronym all of the time -- imagine how exhausting that would be! Arguably, some of the labels are more harmful than helpful anyway.

I know it doesn't suit absolutely everyone, but LGBT is widely understood and accepted within our community and the majority of people can get behind the term, even if it's not a perfect fit for them.

11. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for all of your suggestions. As of now, I'm deciding to personally try to use "colorful", at least if I'm referring to people who don't fall under Lesbian, Gay, bi, or trans. I think this word associates with rainbows, but is hopefully less insulting. If anyone has any objections, please let me know. Do understand, this is difficult.

12. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My two cents on this umbrella term discussion: it's worth noting that the rainbow flag, technically speaking, is only the gay pride flag. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable being referred to as "colourful", regardless. If I were to be included under a blanket term, I'd much rather "queer"/"LGBT"/"LGBTQIA/LGBT+" etc.

As a (technically) pansexual and ambiguously genderqueer person, I've got plenty of letters to my name that aren't covered by the short acronym. And that's fine with me. Genderqueer falls under the trans umbrella, so T's got me covered, and G/L/B are all a case of 'close enough!'.

And if the little plus sign is there...well, that's got me sorted in general.

I know it's not perfect, but really there is no perfect acronym that doesn't become a lengthy alphabet soup. You can go full-on QUILTBAG and still be missing letters for pansexual, neutrois, etc. It's really lovely that you want to be as fully inclusive as possible, but as you can see from responses thus far, the majority are at least partially comfortable with existing blanket terms like LGBT+, and a lot less comfortable with noun-based things like 'rainbows' or 'colourful'.

I'd recommend not overthinking it and going with what the majority are already using and comfortable with. :slight_smile:

13. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, what do people think of my using "Qcommunity" that is what I have been using in recent posts.