1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I feel guilty for being gay

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BobJones, Sep 1, 2015.

1. BobJones

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am 19 and I live at home. I have a secret boyfriend who is 28 years old, so, he's older... He have had sex every time we met, we met on ******... But I feel guilty about it. I know of it were a girl and I were straight, I wouldn't feel this way... Is there any legitimate reason to feel this way? I was raised Christian but my parents are tolerant of gay people, but I'm still in the closet to them, and out to my friends and some cousins . I used to be homophobic when I was 14-17 when I was confused. I had told used that if I was gay, I'd kill myself, but I accepted myself when I was 18... Please help

2. sweetfemme90

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not an unusual experience. Even though you say your Christian parents are tolerant of gay people there are other influences that are not sending you the same message. My parents are mostly tolerant of gay people however I was affected by hateful messages I heard in the media. I believe what you experienced was internal homophobia. Here is a short explanation here

The Rainbow Project: Internalised Homophobia

Have you thought of joining an LGBT group in your area? I felt weird about being queer years ago. When I joined a group in university it seemed less weird and I felt more confident in who I am.

3. matiasz94

matiasz94 Guest

What you're feeling is totally legitimate as explained by sweetfemme90. Have you tried talking it out with your partner? I know it can be terrifying to talk about personal hangups with someone you are intimate with, but he may be able to offer you the support you are looking for. I used to be in the same boat. It does get better with time, honesty, and patience.

4. BobJones

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel guilty for having gay sex and that I'm not a virgin anymore... I was raised being taught that I'm supposed to wait until marriage to have sex... I'm just never happy any more