1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hate pictures of myself

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by BlueRazzberry, Sep 5, 2015.

1. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've gone out with friends a few times recently and at some point during the hangout, they want to take a picture/s with me. I never want to, but I hate being the person that freaks out about it. I've been tagged in fb on these pictures and I honestly just want to ask the person who took them to take them down. I've untagged myself and yet she tags me back in them. There are other people in these pictures but I didn't know that they would be put up on the internet. Am I wrong for wanting to ask her to take down these pics? Does that sound rude? I've had really bad anxiety about this recently and don't even want to have a profile picture up anymore. I hate pictures of myself, and even though I (suppose) I consented to it, I really don't want these anywhere. I'm gonna stop taking pictures, it only makes me feel worse.

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It seems to me that you might have insecurities about your physical appearance? In my opinion, this should not matter. You are you. And while lots of people(especially on this site) might wish to change their appearance, it's not what's important. How other people view you is not the important part. How you view you is. Try to make yourself comfortable with your physical appearance, or ask yourself what you dislike about it.

3. BlueRazzberry

Out Status:
    A few people
    Appearance may not be something that's important to you, but it is to me. I don't care what other people think about the way I look. There's a difference between caring what other people think, and caring about what I think. If it were so easy to simply stop caring, I'd not be on this site to begin with. I've tried to be comfortable with the way I look my entire life, and nothing has changed. I don't need to ask myself what I hate about my appearance. I'm certainly well aware, and don't feel like thinking about anymore than I already do.

4. RainDreamer

It is rude, but sometimes you have to do rude things if you want your privacy respected. Just tell your friends, politely, that you do not want your pictures taken, and if they take pictures without your consent, at least let you untag yourself, because you don't like the attention.

A person has a right to their own images.

#4 RainDreamer, Sep 5, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2015
  5. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, what RainDreamer said is the next best option. It's not rude, because they're your pictures. You have a right to them.

6. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not liking pictures of yourself is normal. I didn't learn to like them till recently, too. It's kind of a learning process, I suppose? For me, at least. Anyways, your friend posting them online and always retagging you would be what I consider rude. Retag me once or twice-maximum thrice-but not more then that. Get the picture! So no, it's not rude to ask her to remove pictures of you. Or at least, untag you. It's your own right, so just stand up and tell her that you don't want to be tagged. Make it short and sweet. She should get the message.

7. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're definitely not alone in hating pictures of yourself. I hate having my picture taken too. And regarding the pictures on Facebook: I don't think it's unreasonable of you to ask the person(s) to take them down. You could just tell them that you don't feel that that picture is very flattering. I've had someone ask me to take down pictures of her too, because she felt they were unflattering. I obliged without giving it a second thought, because I understand how she feels. I usually just try to ignore pictures I've been tagged in. I just scroll past them and hope that something else will distract people from it. I especially hate pictures of myself sitting down. Because of my fat thighs, I can't sit with my legs completely against each other without straining my muscles. So it just doesn't look good. Not that I really mind, because I'm not ladylike, but it doesn't look good on pictures, and I'm very critical of myself.

So don't worry about being the "odd one out" or the one who hates having pictures taken. There are many of us out there :slight_smile: (*hug*)

8. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have friends that I now avoid .. because I know they will photo me and it will go up on Facebook. Its partly my problem but not entirely. Why can people not have privacy as default position?

9. SimplyJay

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel the same way.
    I also do not want pictures of myself on FB.. or really anywhere on the net for that matter.

10. Posthuman666

I very much hate pictures of myself. I don't want this body, this boy, to be immortalized in hd. It is painful to think that pictures, memories, are just remembering me as a male. I am a non binary trans girl, and I don't need to be remembered as a guy. I don't like it -_-