1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for getting a diet under control?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Kodo, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello all,

For a while, I've been trying really hard to get my diet under control. Right now I (more or less) don't eat dairy or wheat - for health reasons and because I feel better when I don't.

However, I can get impulsive and due to my sometimes depressive states, I'll go a whole day eating nothing and then binge eat a box of poptarts. At the time it feels good because it distracts me, but afterwards it makes me feel sick, self loathing, and powerless.

Have any of you had experience dealing with an impulsive diet, or with successfully creating structure in an eating routine? Any advice is appreciated.

2. Gen

Gen

1. Perishables are our friends. Fruits. Vegetables. Grains. Non-dairy milks. Lunch meats. Etc. Not only are most health foods perishables, but we know when we have perishables in the kitchen that they need to be eaten in a timely fashion. Not wanting to waste all of the money that you spent on those items will force you to eat them regularly. If all the food that you have is frozen, canned, or boxed then you essentially allow yourself to have free reign to stick to comfort food all week.

2. Buy a big box of sugar free gum. You don't want to get into the chewing gum all day every day for jaw reasons, but it is a good way to help prevent yourself from eating on autopilot. Mints could also work in place of gum.

3. Drink more water! It has been scientifically proven that many times our bodies mistake thirst for hunger. Additionally, there is a infinite list of other reasons to drink more water.

4. Avoid stocking up on food. Buy enough food to get you through the week. You don't need six different snacks and five different options for every meal. One salty snack. One sweet snack. Fruit. And maybe something random. Other than that, stick to the items that are required for meals. Additionally, stick to one item of each. You will likely return to the store soon enough. You don't need to stock up on each. The more you have available the more you will justify eating.

5. Lastly, purchase at least one new item at the store when you are first starting out on eating healthier. Often times we stick to what we know and what we know are childhood favorites that probably reek havoc on our bodies. I did not know that I would appreciate as many vegan products as I do, but I never would have learned if I stuck to the things that I always ate. The worst thing that can happen is that you aren't a fan and choose to never buy it again.