1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you look for in seeking a therapist?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Hawk, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm currently trying to find a good therapist for myself, and I have it narrowed down to two.
    If you have seen someone, what qualifications did you look for? Do you consider "years in practice" or anything else?

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The kinds of services they offer (does it sound practical or too touchy-feely?). And their degree/credential. In my experience you get the best treatment from a PhD or PsyD.

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Guest

This.

I'd also add, I need to be able to feel comfortable with them. Maybe not at first, especially if somebody has some type of anxiety, and it does takes some time to break the ice, but if you're a few sessions in and things aren't improving, you may want to reconsider.

Basically, I want somebody that I can talk to -- not dictate at.

4. Simple Thoughts

I should really consider seeing a therapist. Maybe I'll look into that when I move...maybe.

If I was looking though I'd mostly just see if they appear on any of those various 'review' sites that exist for everything from stores to doctors, and see if there is anything to be worried about.

Do they actually have any of those for therapists? I know they do for doctors.

5. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for everyone's input.
    I think I found the one I want to see, I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to her page, but it looks like she's mainly (if not only) LGBT, and she has PFLAG on her page as a group also.

#5 Hawk, Sep 8, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Factors that are really important:

-- speciific skill level and analytical ability
    -- approaches/theoretical orientation used (existential, CBT, humanistic, psychodynamic, etc)
    -- Connection and empathy
    -- How comfortable, safe, and willing to be vulnerable you can be
    -- Self-awareness of the therapist's own blind spots

Some of the above aren't easy to judge, and it may take a few sessions to get a sense of your connection with the therapist. A good therapist will be comfortable talking about any of the above to help you see if there's a match.

I personally do not believe that extensive LGBT experience is necessary in most cases. One of the best therapists I ever had, her experience level was close to zero with LGBT issues when I started seeing her, and it was with her that I went through the coming out process. Far more valuable was the empathy, compassion, and understanding she showed in helping me through the issues.

If you want another opinion, feel free to send me one or both links via PM and I'll be happy to read them and see if I see anything that stands out.