1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I join my school's GSA?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by lameusername, Sep 10, 2015.

1. lameusername

I really want to join my school's gay-straight alliance, but I'm kind of nervous about it.

First of all, I'm afraid that everyone will think I'm gay (which isn't a bad thing, I'm just not). I'm also nervous that I'll get asked my sexual orientation. I'm pansexual, and I'm worried that people won't know what that means and I'll have to explain myself and they'll think I just made it up to be special. Also... What even goes on in a GSA meeting? Help.

2. Gamer4now

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel like it would be good to join! Put yourself in the other person in the GSA group. They probably want reassurance and feel accepted. Yes people may consider you being gay but ignore them what do they know of the struggles?

3. sharkpool

Hi!! i really can't offer any help since there's no such thing as a gsa in my country. But i just wanted to comment because i think it is incredibly sad that people voice an opinion based on ignorance. recently, a local newspaper posted an article related to miley cyrus coming out as pansexual; most of the comments made fun of her and her sexuality and said that it was something she invented to call people's attention .___.

4. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey! The GSA is a great place to open up. They're understanding and usually not judgmental, I can't speak for all GSAs considering I've never been to a highschool one before. I'm sure that if they didn't know what Pansexual was, they'd be willing to learn and understand more about it.

5. ilovesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Most GSAs won't ask you about your sexuality because they understand people might not be ready to talk about it or want to. At my GSA they ask you your pronouns but thats it. I think a lot of people in the LGBT community know what pansexual is and wouldn't think you're just trying to be special, and if they do think that they're dumb. In our first meeting we went through every letter (LGBTQIAA+) and the president explained all of them. We also talked about ideas for the club, things we could do, and things we could talk about in future meetings. We are going to have some guest speakers even though theres like 5 of us lol. I would say go. Even if you don't end up going again, it is nice to be in a place where you can completely be yourself, even if it is just one time. I was really nervous going but I took a friend with me and that made it easier. Good luck! You will have fun.

6. lameusername

Thanks, everyone, for your help. The first meeting is on Wednesday, so I have some time to decide. I'm leaning toward going, though, even if I do only go to one meeting.