1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not sure if I can bring up LGBT to counsellor.

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by loveislove01, Sep 12, 2015.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm going to see a counsellor soon and she wants to meet the family first. I have no problem with this, but something that happened to a friend of mine (with a different counsellor) made me distrust them completely.

I was talking to friends at my lunch table and it went to a serious topic, self harm. They saw my scratches and we all talked about it. I mentioned I will start counseling soon-ish next month, and one of them warned me.

He decided to tell the counsellor that he was trans, and she called his parents. They weren't too happy about it, and he is still struggling with depression and his family hasn't completely accepted him.

Hearing stories liked this makes me really upset, and well...I'm scared it'll happen to me too, even though it was a different counselor than the one I'm going to.

Are they certified to out you to your parents...?

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

I'm not sure on the details exactly - I'm sure most counsellors aren't going to do this. I went to one-on-one counselling once when i was 16 and the counsellor wasn't allowed to even confirm to my parents that I had been there without my consent.
    However, this may be an age thing so I'd check to see if anyone under 16 has had 'confidential counselling'.

3. Kenaria

Went to a counselor in 7th grade about self harm, and I was almost forced to tell my parents about it. The only thing that stopped him was telling him they already knew and we're trying to help me with it.

Sometimes, they legally have to- considering you're hurting yourself.

It's unlikely though.

4. troubleshooter

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Self harm is different than sexuality or gender identity. Counsellors must tell parebts or others if a kid threatens to harm themselves or someone else. And while many do it, outing a child client should technically be a breach of confidentiality. Flat out ask the counselor about their policy and bring up the story about the friend you have.

5. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As you are underaged certain aspects of your counselling can be subject for discussion between your parents and any counselor, therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, etc. But these are usually details which may warrant discussion or are of concern. If gender identity is not really related to your issues discussed with the counselor then normally this wouldn't be even mentioned between them. Some counselors would even ask if there are parts of the discussion you wouldn't want him/her to discuss with your parents. Or if you strongly feel about it you can take the initiative and tell him/her that you do not want your sexuality to be discussed outside of you two.

Threats of harm to self and others are a whole other matter. Counselors, Therapists, Psychologists, Psychiatrists, etc even Priests (at confession) are bound to inform your parents (in your case as you are a minor) regarding matters such as these.

6. Mitchell

What you say to them is confidential unless you're in danger of harming yourself or someone else.

Bring this up before you start the session. Ask them to explain in detail the confidentiality agreement.